LVI battery to AC adapter conversion question

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

RetroAMS
undertow

LVI battery to AC adapter conversion question

Post#1 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:07 am

Hi all,

I own a Jap NTSC Dreamcast and recently built a LVI in order to get online using the recommended components and 1x 9V battery. Been working great and still plenty juice in the battery but...

In order to avoid that sinking feeling / disconnection issues when then battery does finally run dry I decided to try and plug a spare old 4-track 12V AC to DC adaptor into the existing 9V battery terminal on the LVI using one of these widely available diago white adaptor cables (save me having to resolder anything). These cables are made for guitar effects boxes that only have 9v battery connectors. All arrived today and hooked it up to take some measurements / try it out and ensure the polarity is the same (it was). Seems to work but I guess I'm just looking for some reassurance here that what I've done isn't going to damage my Pi / USB modem or dreamcast...

Here's some measurements:

Battery 8.6 volts with current draw +/- 12 microamps
With adaptor connected 16.4 volts (despite being labelled 12 volts) with current draw +/- 220 microamps

Nothing is getting overly hot from what I can tell and all looks to be fine but does anything here give any of you any cause for concern?

Thanks for any responses, I'm probably just being overly cautious...
Attachments
connected.jpg
cable.jpg
ac to dc.jpg

RetroAMS
undertow

Re: LVI battery to AC adapter conversion question

Post#2 » Thu Jul 23, 2020 6:28 pm

Just an update to anybody considering this, I have had zero issues with this setup so I'm confident it'll work out as a good long term solution (no more batteries and easy conversion of existing cable from battery powered to ac adaptor powered).

Should I have any issues in the future I'll be sure to update this thread.

Keep on dreaming.