PSO Character Back Up

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

spirit_light_speed
shadow

PSO Character Back Up

Post#1 » Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:02 pm

Hi all,

Juat wondering about the best solution for backing up my PSO characters. I'm running old school Dreamcast hardware with VMU's (Nexus and dreamcast memory cards). I've lost some very high level characters on my Gamecube and do not wish to have the same issue here. Is there a tool or a method to do this safely?

Thanks for the help!

SLS

fafadou
Gold Lion

Re: PSO Character Back Up

Post#2 » Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:38 pm

Use dreamshell.
Copy your save on se card.

Nico0020
Sunday Shootout

Post#3 » Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:24 am

You can also do a serverside backup, which once setup will be automatic . These are good as a secondary measure, as it doesn't save everything. It wont save what is in your bank, but will save all your current stats and equipped items.

You can read about it here: https://dreamcastlive.net/blogs/post/ho ... haracters/

Also, I wouldn't use a 3rd party multibank memory card to save PSO data. If you want to use a multibank card, I would get an official SEGA one. PSO has issues with those, especially higher bank cards.

Ragfish
St.Jimmy

Post#4 » Sun Sep 06, 2020 6:22 pm

I haven't tried it myself but supposedly you can swap the VMU in the middle of playing and then try to save. It will complain about the VMU being different and not work immediately, but after 5 tries or so it should save to the new VMU.

Nico0020
Sunday Shootout

Post#5 » Sun Sep 06, 2020 11:57 pm

Here is the tool to backup any save to another VMU.
https://bswirl.kitsunet.org/vmutool/rel ... en&menu=on

This is a very useful tool in general, it also allows you to unlock an extra 44 blocks on every VMU you have.