I am hosting additional servers for Q3

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

rain2591
noob

I am hosting additional servers for Q3

Post#1 » Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:53 pm

Hi all i have spent today setting up a dedicated Windows XP Ebox device, it is now completely independent of any user interaction and will be running 24/7 7days a week and has the ability to auto power on when a power cut occurs and power is reinstated.

They are listed on the master list as

Dreamcast CTF UK and Dreamcast FFA UK, these being a Capture the Flag and Free For All servers

But what i would like to know is what maps would you consider the best for these two game types and what sort of configuration is also best i.e amount of frags per match required to win, number of flags to capture and max duration of time to play per match

I would like to ensure that these are tweaked to give gameplay results based on what users want

The Hardware is a optimised installation of Windows XP Pro SP3 on a EBOX 3350DX running a Vortex86 CPU @ 933mhz with 512MB DDR2 ram, its connected straight to a D-Link Fibre router connected on a 40Mbit connection so the specs are more than enough to host several instances of Q3 dedicated server.

Let me know your thoughts

RetroAMS
undertow

Re: I am hosting additional servers for Q3

Post#2 » Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:26 pm

Gave your FFA server a whirl yesterday evening, refreshingly low ping compared to the servers over the pond made for a much more enjoyable (ie less laggy) experience. Had a full server going for while, great fun. Nice one fella. :)

rain2591
noob

Post#3 » Sat Oct 03, 2020 4:33 pm

Thanks for your feedback, have taken them down for a day to configure some of the windows xp services which are no longer required, i.e indexing , WiFi and other services which eat system resources to imrpove performance from the low powered hardware.

mrneo240
Rank 9

Post#4 » Sat Oct 03, 2020 5:39 pm

I have some tossed up in Germany and willing to help people willing to fund $4/mo for usa servers.