In australia, how do I connect to Dreamcast online?

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Dudebloke
shadow

In australia, how do I connect to Dreamcast online?

Post#1 » Sun Jul 25, 2021 5:24 am

I am preparing to get a Dreamcast in australia, every website I find provides info only for a ntsc Dreamcast. I have a raspberry Pi 3b. What else do I need?

mazonemayu
Agent Provocateur

Re: In australia, how do I connect to Dreamcast online?

Post#2 » Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:15 am

You don’t need an ntsc dreamcast mate, us over here in europe play online with our pal dreamcasts as well, you just need to track down a compatible dc modem.

There’s plenty of info here https://dreamcastlive.net/shop/
There’s also topics about it on the forum & you can always ask pcwizard if can’t get it working (but it’s all basically plug & play)
We are SEGA generation.

Subscribe:

https://youtube.com/user/mazonemayu <———gameplay vids be here

Visit:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/150479343@N06/albums <—-collection piccies here

Dudebloke
shadow

Post#3 » Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:25 am

But I thought I needed a pal line enducer

Dudebloke
shadow

Post#4 » Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:26 am

And do I need both the pal line enducer and the modem?

Jako
Sunday Shootout

Post#5 » Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:20 am

Hi!
You need the 2 things:
The modem usb and the LVI, in PAL the only difference is that you need more voltage. Is recommended to buy it from DreamcastLive, but if you like tech stuff... Is not a hard task to get it yourself with 2x 9v batteries for line inducer and have some luck with some old modem.

You can select one thing or another ;-)
Be Dreamcast My Friend!!!

Dudebloke
shadow

Post#6 » Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:58 am

One thing is, do I need to connect the pal line inducer to the modem or do I need to the phone line, I don’t really understand. The other thing is it would take a very long time to ship from the us to Australia.

Jako
Sunday Shootout

Post#7 » Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:07 am

Sorry for my bad English!

From the DC to the internet this is the journey hahaha:

Dreamcast with PAL modem - - - > RJ11 cable,
Cut on the RJ cable and feed with the needed voltage (18v in our console PAL). You can use 2x 9V batteries, the guitar pedal ones, or a plug with low amps but enough volts... I use a voltage converter from Aliexpress, ir converts from 5 to 18volts and works so fine, no more batteries, you can feed it via USB from the PI3 or the TV USB... . The circuit is easy but will take to arrive more than a month sure. Better buy 2 batteries from the e-store. Hehehe.

Next step,on the other side of the cable (with the LVI done in the middle) plug the RJ phone cable into the 56kb USB modem (most models works, but is a bit of luck).And the USB modem to the RPI3.

The RPI have to be connected to ehternet and with the SD card image stored.

If the Dreamcast setup is done...Welcome to online!!!

Another easy way to be online on some DC games do you have analog phone line at home? Some games works with cable plugged directly to the wall or router if your line are analog. Like 20 years ago, and works!! XD
Be Dreamcast My Friend!!!

Dudebloke
shadow

Post#8 » Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:16 am

Thanks for the advice! More people need to see this! I’m probably gonna just make my own circuit seeing as A MONTH is a bit long for me, still thank you for the advice!