3 PSO Questions

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Elliander
lithium

3 PSO Questions

Post#1 » Sun Jan 23, 2022 5:32 am

Hi, there are two things I ran into that has me puzzled in regards to Phantasy Star Online V.2 for Dreamcast:

1.) I beat the first boss solo and that unlocked the caves, but for the second boss I beat it online with one person helping (we were close in level) and afterwards I was able to play in the next area for a while. There was also new dialog in the principle office. However, after saving and quitting the game and then going back later I noticed that I no longer had access to the next area in online or offline mode and the principal office dialogue reverted. So do I have to be careful to only beat the bosses in offline mode so as to have access to the new areas in online mode? It's not that I can't do it, I just want to be sure if I am required to play offline through each area before playing online.

2.) I downloaded the quest "Garon's Scheme" onto my VMU because I heard that you could get a rare MAG with 0 DEF (to make a MAG for pure MIND bonuses), but after playing through the quest I didn't get the MAG and instead got a Photon Point. I read up on it and that is so online mode shop, but I can't figure out if the shop is where I get the MAG or where exactly the ship is or if it's just a random chance of getting the MAG. Or do I have the wrong quest? Oh yeah, and does that MAG pass the legit checker on all 4 online ships? I heard that Garon's shop upgrades break legit checkers on other ships.

3.) Does cancelling quests result in the MAG synchro decreasing? Because I had it at 120% and was careful to take the MAG off before saving and quitting to change modes, but the Synchro fell by 10% at some point and the only thing I could think to explain it was that I cancelled the VR quest line because I ran out of TP restoring items. I didn't die, but does the game treat that as the same? I never really liked that mechanic because, offline, I am required to save and quit to reset areas quickly so want to be sure on how to avoid Synchro loss. Especially because I have my MAG's diet especially formulated and bringing the synchro back up without ruining the stat balance is a bit of a pain.

Thanks!

Gocha
letterbomb

Re: 3 PSO Questions

Post#2 » Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:10 am

Don't know much about the 2 last questions, but about the first you need to kill the bosses offline to get access to the areas online, sadly it is the same for every difficulty, so when you start playing in hard you again need to finish the bosses offline again. If you play on a room created by someone who has all the areas then you can access every area while on that room, so a way to bypass that if you don't want to do it offline is to play with people that have the areas unlocked and ask them to host the room. When you get to higher level it's easy to go offline and rush an area to get the access anyway, so that could be a solution.

Elliander
lithium

Post#3 » Sun Jan 23, 2022 4:36 pm

Gocha wrote:Don't know much about the 2 last questions, but about the first you need to kill the bosses offline to get access to the areas online,

That's very good to know. I had no idea!

Gocha wrote: sadly it is the same for every difficulty, so when you start playing in hard you again need to finish the bosses offline again.

In regards to that, I'm curious about how that works. When Online I can see difficulty options, but not when offline. So, if I change difficulty online is it also changed offline? In which case I have to start over through the areas for each difficulty? And if I change the mode back to a difficulty I already cleared will those areas become accessible again, or will they need to be cleared again?

Gocha wrote: If you play on a room created by someone who has all the areas then you can access every area while on that room.

That's very good to know!

Gocha wrote: Don't know much about the 2 last questions

I was able to partially answer the question about the MAG: Upon closer examination, synchro decreased by 5% when logging out even when not equipped. I still don't know if cancelling quests does the same or not, or what this means when owning multiple MAGs, but this is good to know since all the guides I read specified "while equipped".

I don't suppose there's a simple quick start guide on stuff like this? If there isn't I think I might put together a guide with screenshots as I figure things out for others.

mazonemayu
Agent Provocateur

Post#4 » Sun Jan 23, 2022 6:48 pm

Unlocking all difficulties offline is straightforward: finishing normal unlocks hard, finishing hard unlocks very hard, finishing very hard unlocks ultimate, but don’t think it will be easy doing all this, You may perfectly well finish easy at a relatively low level, but jumping into the next difficulty can completely destroy you at first…till you level some more that is :lol:

This is a game for those who are patient and who love to grind :mrgreen:
We are SEGA generation.

Subscribe:

https://youtube.com/user/mazonemayu <———gameplay vids be here

Visit:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/150479343@N06/albums <—-collection piccies here

Elliander
lithium

Post#5 » Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:23 pm

mazonemayu wrote:Unlocking all difficulties offline is straightforward

I gather that, but it remembers the unlocks if I decrease a difficulty setting, right?

mazonemayu wrote:This is a game for those who are patient and who love to grind :mrgreen:

Yeah, I'd pretty much classify PSO as one giant dungeon crawl.

mistamontiel
Shark Patrol

Post#6 » Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:30 pm

The EP1 port within EP2 greatly fixes this sorrow (haven't been aced to confirm cuz I've EP2 then lol)

On lone EP1 youse doing the campaign twice per difficulty because the pillars that must be activated won't spawn until second play in

Brotip, when done the pillars the second play you can enter the Ruins then quit out and it's there avail on new team spawn ^.^

mazonemayu
Agent Provocateur

Post#7 » Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:32 am

You can’t decrease the difficulty setting once it is unlocked, it just shows up in the start menu, you just choose what you wqnt to play then. You can go back & forth between everything that is unlocked, if you choose to do so
We are SEGA generation.

Subscribe:

Visit:

Elliander
lithium

Post#8 » Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:04 am

mazonemayu wrote:You can’t decrease the difficulty setting once it is unlocked, it just shows up in the start menu, you just choose what you wqnt to play then. You can go back & forth between everything that is unlocked, if you choose to do so

I see that now.

I just beat Dark Waltz as a level 24 Force! Actually, my first try ended in failure because I only had 127 HP and it one hit kills for 130, but I just equipped an HP boosting gear and went in again. With a stack of dimates and trimates it was easy! Although that probably has more to do with how much I focused on getting my MAG levelled up. Still, I think that's the lowest level I have ever beaten it at. That said, I was a bit urked that after the epilogue was complete it saved the game and went to the system menu. I had some items laying around outside the bank I would have wanted to clean up first. Items only stick around until you save and quit.

After I loaded up into offline mode I was met with this new menu option to select difficulty, which currently lets me select between Normal and Hard:

PSO_difficulty_select.jpg

A shame the modified Dreamcast disc doesn't (or can't? have the Episode 2 content from the Dreamcast version. I much prefer playing on the Dreamcast. Oh well. It's onto the next difficulty tier!

EDIT: I just played through the forests on hard mode and it's significantly more difficult, although the dragon felt even easier to beat on Hard Mode at Level 25 than it was on Normal Mode at Level 5. I was concerned so I didn't carry a weapon, but it was really easy. I guess spamming Rabarta right up against it made the difference. Is the caves boss going to be as easy on hard mode?

PSO_dragon_hard.png

mazonemayu
Agent Provocateur

Post#9 » Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:06 am

At lv25 it’ll prolly eat you alive
We are SEGA generation.

Subscribe:

Visit:

Elliander
lithium

Post#10 » Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:58 am

mazonemayu wrote:At lv25 it’ll prolly eat you alive

So I guess it's best to assume 5x whatever level I beat an area the first time for hard mode? Some something closer to level 50 for the second boss?