A friend and I RE'd the KDDI Capcom games but ran into a hardware roadblock. Here's how 15+ games could come back online

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Shuouma
Developer

Re: A friend and I RE'd the KDDI Capcom games but ran into a hardware roadblock. Here's how 15+ games could come back on

Post#81 » Thu Sep 15, 2022 2:49 pm

Hey

Yeah you are right regarding the dricas in the US Version, it is in the assembler code. But I never saw it due to the vmu save I guess.

kmika7e77
noob

Re: A friend and I RE'd the KDDI Capcom games but ran into a hardware roadblock. Here's how 15+ games could come back on

Post#82 » Sun Sep 18, 2022 6:48 pm

Hey @Shuouma, I have a doubt, why Power Stone 2 appears in the WIP as 2 player online? Have you found any restriction in its code? I'm saying this because the Japanese cover of the game states 4 players online, and so far all the games you've freed match their original features. Thanks in advance for clarifying.

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#83 » Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:01 pm

kmika7e77 wrote:I have a doubt, why Power Stone 2 appears in the WIP as 2 player online? Have you found any restriction in its code? I'm saying this because the Japanese cover of the game states 4 players online

It supports 2 players on one Dreamcast so technically you can play with up to 4 players but not actually 4 players on 4 different Dreamcasts. All the Capcom KDDI games are a max of two Dreamcasts but some support more than one player per console.
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

dude2207
lithium

Post#84 » Sun Sep 18, 2022 8:40 pm

Small update (good and bad) for the crowd: Last night me and Sega RPG Fan successfully tested his modified netlink tunnel and were able to connect to each other in Netto de Tennis. Unfortunately, however, we had issues with getting desynced (game would time him out for not serving the ball even though he was still playing on his side) and even disconnected (game would give an error message that translates along the lines of "there was no opposition from the opponent"). Will of course continue to work on things but there's the current status.

Oh, also created a web portal and PERL script for generating the VMS/VMI of NET files for people when the time comes. You will need to manually find your dreamcast's unique flash ID to create your NET file. Easiest way is to grab the flash uploader tool (https://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewto ... =5&t=15003) and run it as it will show your flash ID in the bottom right of the screen. There's a CDI two posts down for my fellow CD burners. You don't have to actually run the tool if you don't wish to, just boot it up and write down your Flash ID for the future.

The project marches on.

SEGA RPG FAN
Developer

Post#85 » Mon Sep 19, 2022 1:11 am

After the disappointing test last night, Xiden and I had a really good matchup without issues. The main difference being we were both wired on Pi 3s. Dude was on wireless with pi zero w which could have negatively affected the connection. I've found that wired is definitely preferable for Saturn online, so that is likely the case here too.

We played about 6 matches without any de-syncing or stutters.
Attachments
20220918_232848~2.jpg
20220918_232238~2.jpg
20220918_232214~2.jpg
20220918_232105~2.jpg
PSO Dreamcast 100% Legit: Eda FOmarl, Automaton HUcast

colgate
Doom

Post#86 » Mon Sep 19, 2022 2:08 am

This is definitely great news!

DarkSynbios
DC-Talk Addict

Post#87 » Mon Sep 19, 2022 3:32 am

SEGA RPG FAN wrote:After the disappointing test last night, Xiden and I had a really good matchup without issues. The main difference being we were both wired on Pi 3s. Dude was on wireless with pi zero w which could have negatively affected the connection. I've found that wired is definitely preferable for Saturn online, so that is likely the case here too.

We played about 6 matches without any de-syncing or stutters.

Nice stuff! :) About Dude who uses RPI Zero W, I think is better to use WiFi USB Adapter from built in which is on raspberry zero. I am using RPI zero with USB Hub and I have better results on connection.

Xiden
Developer

Post#88 » Mon Sep 19, 2022 10:00 am

Just adding to what SegaRPGFan said, it played great! Lag free experience :)

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#89 » Mon Sep 19, 2022 2:36 pm

dude2207 wrote:Oh, also created a web portal and PERL script for generating the VMS/VMI of NET files for people when the time comes. You will need to manually find your dreamcast's unique flash ID to create your NET file.

How was this done back in the day? I would assume the game would have done all this for you.
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

SEGA RPG FAN
Developer

Post#90 » Mon Sep 19, 2022 2:40 pm

You can still do it through the game, but for some unknown reason, it only works via a windows XP PC-DC server. That's an unreasonable ask for people to set up just to register.
PSO Dreamcast 100% Legit: Eda FOmarl, Automaton HUcast