Finally got a HIT-0400(BBA) looking for suggestions

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Haloboy
noob

Finally got a HIT-0400(BBA) looking for suggestions

Post#1 » Fri Jul 29, 2022 9:14 pm

Hello all,
Im new here, but have been aware of the Dreamcast Online community keeping the system alive and online as ever, for a long time now.
I just got my HIT-0400 Broadband Adapter and plugged it into the modem to test out some connection stuff(just pinging and connecting to hosted bot servers in Quake 3). I did mess around on my Linux machine to try to host my own server but it didnt connect after deploying(probably port or firewall). Wasnt high on my list anyway. I also frequently see people download saves and files to VMU which is pretty simple for me.

What I wanted to know is what else I could tinker with using the BBA specifically? I ask because most people here are using Dreampie and the software for that. Do I need that stuff still to connect to Phantasy Star Online or is the BBA good enough? Can I use Dreampie software using the BBA? I wanted to check out PSO but dont plan to get hooked on it, just weekend stuff probably. Anything else this device can do? Sorry if these answers are posted elsewhere. A lot of the neighboring forums are no longer around like they were 1-3 years ago.

TLDR: Just got a BBA and looking for main uses for it, compared to Dreampie.

Sonic1994DC
Carnage

Re: Finally got a HIT-0400(BBA) looking for suggestions

Post#2 » Fri Jul 29, 2022 10:04 pm

As of now only 4 games support the BBA and there PSO, Quake 3 Arena, POD, and Toy Racer. This November though a new Dreamcast Indie game called Driving Strikers will support the BBA. For PSO you need to burn a boot disc to connect to the private servers. (Dreampi is not needed to connect to PSO) Theres also the XDP browser you can burn for it that suppose both dial-up and broadband for it. Going to the Dreampipe.net website has a broadband adapter portal. It is a collection of Dreamcast websites that were only originally accessible with the modem but you can view those websites with your BBA now. So far its only a couple sites you can view but some are Sonic Adventure 2, Rayman 2, Toy Racer, Jet Grind Radio, and some more. There will be more sites added in the future to view like the Sonic Adventure site. When thats added BBA users will be able to upload there level times and chao's to the site. As well as download the DLC for it. On the Dreampipe.net website too you can check on the VMU link and it will send you to Dreamcastlive.net and from there you can view and download all the DLC the Dreamcast ever had

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#3 » Fri Jul 29, 2022 10:09 pm

For me the main use is DC development sending code to the Dreamcast..

-drez01-
Tank Jr.

Post#4 » Fri Jul 29, 2022 10:43 pm

Haloboy wrote:I wanted to check out PSO but dont plan to get hooked on it

Said everyone who gets hooked on it :roll:

Sonic1994DC
Carnage

Post#5 » Fri Jul 29, 2022 11:04 pm

-drez01- wrote:
Haloboy wrote:I wanted to check out PSO but dont plan to get hooked on it

Said everyone who gets hooked on it :roll:

Lol! :lol:

deluxux
Black Mesa

Post#6 » Fri Jul 29, 2022 11:24 pm

DCPlaya uses the BBA to stream internet radio, perhaps if the URLs are updated you could do this too

Haloboy
noob

Post#7 » Fri Jul 29, 2022 11:51 pm

Sonic1994DC wrote:As of now only 4 games support the BBA and there PSO, Quake 3 Arena, POD, and Toy Racer. This November though a new Dreamcast Indie game called Driving Strikers will support the BBA. For PSO you need to burn a boot disc to connect to the private servers. (Dreampi is not needed to connect to PSO) Theres also the XDP browser you can burn for it that suppose both dial-up and broadband for it. Going to the Dreampipe.net website has a broadband adapter portal. It is a collection of Dreamcast websites that were only originally accessible with the modem but you can view those websites with your BBA now. So far its only a couple sites you can view but some are Sonic Adventure 2, Rayman 2, Toy Racer, Jet Grind Radio, and some more. There will be more sites added in the future to view like the Sonic Adventure site. When thats added BBA users will be able to upload there level times and chao's to the site. As well as download the DLC for it. On the Dreampipe.net website too you can check on the VMU link and it will send you to Dreamcastlive.net and from there you can view and download all the DLC the Dreamcast ever had

Wow! Lots of great replies already. You guys are great and I have once before been addicted to PSO so I am aware of my limits lol. This comment really helps identify some of the areas I was confused on. Definitely heading to dreampipe this weekend. I'll look into finding that PSO boot disk as well. I saw there was a few people live on Sylverant and a couple other server host websites tonight. Thanks.

Sonic1994DC
Carnage

Post#8 » Sat Jul 30, 2022 10:39 am

You can find that download for the PSO boot disc on https://dreamcastlive.net/downloads/ and other downloads too. Also a neat site you can visit too if you have Sonic Adventure 2 and you want to download unique Chao's go to http://www.dream.slurmking.com/garden He has all the downloads for the regular Chaos as well as jewel Chaos and special Chaos. You can also download Chaos from the SA2 website from Dreampipe.net but they don't have all the Chaos that the slurmking website has

mistamontiel
Shark Patrol

Post#9 » Sat Jul 30, 2022 12:05 pm

Can't stress enough how much Ives' CDs is requirement screw no boot disc

Don't kill your laser on trashy v2's GD

-drez01-
Tank Jr.

Post#10 » Sat Jul 30, 2022 12:25 pm

It’s true, with out it your laser thrashes about. Plus you get some perks with his v2 release, most importantly bug fixes and widescreen patch option when connected

https://psopalace.sylverant.net/frameset.html