Will Anybody Teach a New PSO Player?

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

deluxebucket
noob

Will Anybody Teach a New PSO Player?

Post#1 » Tue Sep 06, 2022 4:28 pm

Hey y'all,

I'm heavily looking into getting a set up for online, particularly the Pi 3 DreamPi kit. Just need to wait for one to pop back in stock so I can make the jump on it. I have been dying to join you guys for saturday game nights and will get every single game I can so I can participate as much as possible. But, would anybody be willing to possibly teach PSO to someone who is completely new to it? I am definitely a bit younger, being 24, but have always adored the Dreamcast and the library it has. I never got PSO when I was actively collecting DC games because I never knew if I would actually be able to fully play it or not. But, since this wonderful community exists, I really want to get into it. Would anybody be willing to show me the ropes and possibly run me through some of the game so I can become an asset on the team?

mazonemayu
Agent Provocateur

Re: Will Anybody Teach a New PSO Player?

Post#2 » Tue Sep 06, 2022 5:21 pm

Well, it’s pretty straightforward really: create a character & start playing offline today, this way you’ll know how the hub & game works, level a bit and learn what your character is good & bad at. This way you’ll at least know what to do when you start playing online & you’ll have some more health so your team doesn’t need to cover & recive you the whole time. Just do a few runs of story mode offline to level a bit, collect some stuff, upgrade your weps/armor, that kinda shit. The rest comes later…
We are SEGA generation.

Subscribe:

https://youtube.com/user/mazonemayu <———gameplay vids be here

Visit:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/150479343@N06/albums <—-collection piccies here

deluxebucket
noob

Post#3 » Tue Sep 06, 2022 7:01 pm

mazonemayu wrote:Well, it’s pretty straightforward really: create a character & start playing offline today, this way you’ll know how the hub & game works, level a bit and learn what your character is good & bad at. This way you’ll at least know what to do when you start playing online & you’ll have some more health so your team doesn’t need to cover & recive you the whole time. Just do a few runs of story mode offline to level a bit, collect some stuff, upgrade your weps/armor, that kinda shit. The rest comes later…

Thank you so much, this was the exact kind of advice I was looking for. I wasn’t fully sure how far you could go offline and if online/offline characters were different entities. Stoked to get the hang of this and join on up eventually!!!

deluxebucket
noob

Post#4 » Tue Sep 06, 2022 7:33 pm

I also think that you may have someway blessed me with your reply, my local Play n Trade had a copy of PSO for $35 :)

Sonic1994DC
Carnage

Post#5 » Tue Sep 06, 2022 9:12 pm

deluxebucket wrote:Hey y'all,

I'm heavily looking into getting a set up for online, particularly the Pi 3 DreamPi kit. Just need to wait for one to pop back in stock so I can make the jump on it. I have been dying to join you guys for saturday game nights and will get every single game I can so I can participate as much as possible. But, would anybody be willing to possibly teach PSO to someone who is completely new to it? I am definitely a bit younger, being 24, but have always adored the Dreamcast and the library it has. I never got PSO when I was actively collecting DC games because I never knew if I would actually be able to fully play it or not. But, since this wonderful community exists, I really want to get into it. Would anybody be willing to show me the ropes and possibly run me through some of the game so I can become an asset on the team?

Once you get the game me(Sonic1994DC) or the group that plays on Saturdays (Dreamcastlive) can help you level up :)

OatBob
BFG-10K

Post#6 » Tue Sep 06, 2022 10:56 pm

I have a couple more questions about online play.

How many characters can a player have? The only limiting rule I see for that one server is the requirement for possession of an original access key.

Is multi-boxing okay? Outside of abusive play, I see no limitation for playing multiple accounts simultaneously. Of course, BBAs are expensive and Pi 2/3/4s are almost impossible to get right now.
shinjitsunayu.me/ - web content for DC.

mazonemayu
Agent Provocateur

Post#7 » Wed Sep 07, 2022 3:41 am

deluxebucket wrote:
mazonemayu wrote:Well, it’s pretty straightforward really: create a character & start playing offline today, this way you’ll know how the hub & game works, level a bit and learn what your character is good & bad at. This way you’ll at least know what to do when you start playing online & you’ll have some more health so your team doesn’t need to cover & recive you the whole time. Just do a few runs of story mode offline to level a bit, collect some stuff, upgrade your weps/armor, that kinda shit. The rest comes later…

Thank you so much, this was the exact kind of advice I was looking for. I wasn’t fully sure how far you could go offline and if online/offline characters were different entities. Stoked to get the hang of this and join on up eventually!!!

The game is fully playable offline, the entire story is there. The difference between online is that you get to play with friends (duh :D ), you gain more experience, there are more rare items to be found and you can trade stuff with other folks. That last part usually happens to a noob who ventures online for the first few times: veteran players tend to dump their old gear on you, which is pretty useless to them at that point, but gives a new player a massive boost. Anyway, that’s how I do it most of the time.
Also keep in mind that while playing offline, it can be incredibly hard at dirst because your lv is so low, you’ll prolly die a lot. No need to push on to higher levels if you’re not strong enough (yet), you can play any level of the game again & again to level up & get better items, until you are strong enough to tackle that next boss…don.’t forget to log out properly when you finish a gamethough, this is your save :mrgreen:
We are SEGA generation.

Subscribe:

https://youtube.com/user/mazonemayu <———gameplay vids be here

Visit:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/150479343@N06/albums <—-collection piccies here

deluxebucket
noob

Post#8 » Thu Sep 08, 2022 2:01 pm

Thank all of you lovely people so much for your kind and thoughtful responses. I’d be happy to get some games in with you Sonic1994, as soon as I get access to ordering a DreamPi you’ll be the first person I’ll message :) I also am going to be getting a brand new copy of PSO V2 and am going to just use v1 to level up and eventually transfer it over to V2!