Dreamcast Website Development Research

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

rizzoislandgame
dark night

Dreamcast Website Development Research

Post#1 » Wed Mar 01, 2023 9:09 pm

Hey ya'll!

I'm currently working on a small archive on Dreamcast website development. As such, if anyone has any useful links, I'd appreciate it. Another part of this, is resources thread for hosting and general development. A lot of modern hosting sites use TLS 1.3, which is incompatible with the Dreamcast Browsers. As such, I need to crowd source hosting options for people who don't want to web-host themselves. I'll keep updating this thread with new stuff as we find it. I'm also searching for one particular website that has the entire list of Planetweb specific HTML tags. I lost it quite awhile ago.

WIP is being made on the dreamcast wiki in order to consoldate this info

Known Working Webpage Builders:
- Microsoft Frontpage 2000 and Below (must turn off all addtional addons such as DHTML and CSS)
- Dreamweaver 4 and Below

Web Development Resources:
- DC Design (dreamcast.planetweb.com)
- PlanetwebMaster
- Dreamcast Arena (Javascript Dreamcast Scripts)
- BlueSwirl Dreamcast Tools
- DC Browser Reverse Engineering Project

Known Compatible Hosting Sites:
- Hostgator
Last edited by rizzoislandgame on Wed Mar 01, 2023 11:13 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Falco Girgis
Developer

Re: Dreamcast Website Development Research

Post#2 » Wed Mar 01, 2023 9:31 pm

I think this is a FANTASTIC idea. I've seen a lot of gems on the wayback machine (archiving VMU resources) going into explicit details on some of the web browsers' really deep features like invoking a custom Javascript script from the VMU, but I was too dumb to save it.

This is a really good cause, and if anyone else has any information, please share. Notice that the BlueSwirl site that has been around this scene for a VERY LONG TIME is now gone. Somebody is going to need the references and resources to hopefully build a new one some day... and we are actually working on WebAssembly support for the next EVMU release, so you can embed that and play minigames in the browser directly...

Xiden
Developer

Post#3 » Wed Mar 01, 2023 10:01 pm

rizzoislandgame wrote:Hey ya'll!

I'm currently working on a small archive on Dreamcast website development. As such, if anyone has any useful links, I'd appreciate it. Another part of this, is resources thread for hosting and general development. A lot of modern hosting sites use TLS 1.3, which is incompatible with the Dreamcast Browsers. As such, I need to crowd source hosting options for people who don't want to web-host themselves. I'll keep updating this thread with new stuff as we find it. I'm also searching for one particular website that has the entire list of Planetweb specific HTML tags. I lost it quite awhile ago.

Web Development Resources:
- DC Design (dreamcast.planetweb.com)
- PlanetwebMaster

Known Compatible Hosting Sites:
- Hostgator

This site (now defunct) had some neat html tags you could use with dreamcast
https://web.archive.org/web/20181029115 ... e-friendly

-drez01-
Tank Jr.

Post#4 » Wed Mar 01, 2023 10:31 pm

Falco Girgis
Developer

Post#5 » Wed Mar 01, 2023 11:35 pm

-drez01- wrote:Blueswirl is still around:
https://bswirl.kitsunet.org/

Yeah, but try to upload or download something from it.

Also good job on the other links! Omg the Angelfire one is good!

Falco Girgis
Developer

Post#6 » Wed Mar 01, 2023 11:36 pm

Xiden wrote:This site (now defunct) had some neat html tags you could use with dreamcast
https://web.archive.org/web/20181029115 ... e-friendly

OMG this site is defunct? Man, I must be getting old...