Issues with Planet Ring/AFO

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

cypressRU
lithium

Issues with Planet Ring/AFO

Post#1 » Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:21 pm

I'm using a GDEMU with Dreampi, and I've been able to play 4x4 evo, quake, NBA 2k2, and PSO online well.

The issue is, when I click connect on AFO it wont attempt to dial and will go back to main menu. I changed the # to 111-1111 in 4x4 evo like the troubleshooting guide said.

In Planet Ring, the game wont let me move but the music keeps playing after I try to create an account

I set up DMZ with .98 at end, which is what Quake 3 said the dreamcasts IP was.

Any idea on how to fix guys? Am I just using bad GDIs or something?

cypressRU
lithium

Re: Issues with Planet Ring/AFO

Post#2 » Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:24 pm

Network provider is Xfi xfinity

cypressRU
lithium

Post#3 » Wed Mar 29, 2023 6:06 pm

I tried DMZing + resetting router, and it didn't work. (DMZ is on the IP that I get from Quake 3 when connecting, ending in 98) In Planet RIng I just become frozen when I create an account, music keeps playing but I can't move. Alien Front Online still sends me to main menu without attempting to dial (stuck on "looking for communication device" even though both lights are green on dreampi)

Could it possibly be because of dual stacking IP's maybe?

lozz
core

Post#4 » Thu Mar 30, 2023 4:07 pm

A lot of the games that you report as working do not require DMZ/port forwarding, so it could potentially be the case that your DMZ isn't operating correctly. NBA does require DMZ though, so if you have actually played some matches (not just logged onto the server) then that would suggest that it is operating in at least some capacity.

It would be worth checking that you don't have an IP conflict occuring when you are experiencing problems (I.E. that you don't have any other devices that are taking the .98 IP address). You can always set a static IP on your DC if it has a habit of taking your DC's IP address.

Unfortunately playing online can just be mysteriously finicky for some. Before I moved house I wasn't able to play WWP, Starlancer or Planet Ring, but was perfectly fine playing everything else. I haven't a clue why I no longer have the same problems at my new location though as I'm using the same ISP!

Hopefully some others may have some more insightful suggestions. Good luck.

cypressRU
lithium

Post#5 » Thu Mar 30, 2023 5:24 pm

I for sure played NBA 2k2, but it only works when I play with some players. Doesn't work with all players.

Do you have any idea if getting a new router and putting my current one on bridge will change anything?

OlivusPrime
dirty sailor

Post#6 » Wed Apr 05, 2023 4:54 pm

I've just gotten this same issue with Planet Ring - I get all the way through creating an account, and afterwards the character just freezes in place. There's no confirmation of the account being created, or the game being saved. I've tried this on two different VMUs, too. I'm using a genuine GD-ROM.

OlivusPrime
dirty sailor

Post#7 » Sat Apr 08, 2023 3:53 pm

Very strange. I had set up DMZ previously, using the correct IP address for the Dreamcast (and this had worked fine for 5 other games including Alien Front Online), but tried port forwarding for Planet Ring tonight. Now similar behaviour occurs before the game even tells me to go to the information centre - the connection dialog occurs and disappears, and then shortly after I'm told that the server isn't responding.

I'll try tweaking the port forwarding rules again in a few days, but otherwise I'm not really sure where to go from here.

OlivusPrime
dirty sailor

Post#8 » Tue Apr 11, 2023 4:23 pm

What a nightmare. I tried playing around with port forwarding for Planet Ring some more, and still no dice. The game would dial and connect, but wouldn't be able to reach the servers to let me go to the information centre.

I tried resetting everything to how it was before, when I just had DMZ set up and could at least enter my Planet Ring account details, but it's still not accessing the server. I even tried resetting the router to factory settings, and checking my internet settings in DreamKey 3.0, and it still won't connect properly. In DreamKey, it will successfully dial, but can't load any webpages.

I have a feeling I'll need to reflash the DreamPi next, because it now doesn't display an IPV4 address when I connect it to HDMI.

Xiden
Developer

Post#9 » Tue Apr 11, 2023 6:10 pm

cypressRU wrote:I'm using a GDEMU with Dreampi, and I've been able to play 4x4 evo, quake, NBA 2k2, and PSO online well.

The issue is, when I click connect on AFO it wont attempt to dial and will go back to main menu. I changed the # to 111-1111 in 4x4 evo like the troubleshooting guide said.

In Planet Ring, the game wont let me move but the music keeps playing after I try to create an account

Ive had that issue with afo before, what fixed it for me was flashing the dc memory. (Erasing it). That is if you dont mind setting your internet up again on the Dreamcast.

https://psopalace.sylverant.net/downloads/DCFlash.zip

Xiden
Developer

Post#10 » Wed Apr 12, 2023 10:44 am

cypressRU wrote:I'm using a GDEMU with Dreampi, and I've been able to play 4x4 evo, quake, NBA 2k2, and PSO online well.

I talked with Shu, he's got the issue fixed. Please try again and let us know.