Question about hooking up

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

tenchi ryu
dark night
Dreamcast Games you play Online: ALL of THEM.....thank god for free .cdi's online LOL

Question about hooking up

Post by tenchi ryu »

hey guys, its been awhile and i have a question. So I'm getting AT&T internet next week and they was asking about telephone cords so i'm guessing it will come through the cord...with this logic, will I be able to connect my dreamcast online with the auto-connect disc with this type of connection, or is it too current for dreamcast connection....and what connection are you suppose to have to get the dreamcast online?

Bob Dobbs
Sub Genius
Dreamcast Games you play Online: PSO, AFO, PBA, 4x4 Evo, IGP, Planet Ring and Max Pool

Re: Question about hooking up

Post by Bob Dobbs »

Ok, hello and welcome!

Now, to the question at hand...

I do not know how to answer this directly without asking a few questions, so here we go...

1. Will you be on a VoIP type service or will you still have a old/standard phone service?

2. If VoIP, will it be from a DSL type connection like Verizon provides in the USA (remember, I do not know if you are from the USA)?

3. If you still have a old/standard phone carrier, then you would be good to go. You would just connect the Dreamcast to the phone jack with the phone cable (RJ11 phone cable). Now the Dreamcast is ready to go. This includes playing the following online games/browsers:
1. PSO
2. Quake 3
3. Maximum Pool
4. Starlanser
5. 4x4 Evolution
6. XDP Browser
7. PlanetWeb 2.6 or 3.0 Browser
8. I'm not sure about the Japanese or Euro browsers.

I do not think I missed anything...if so, please someone chime in!

NOTE: I am not sure if Sega Swirl is alive online or not...or if anyone cares about that game.
Regards,
Bob Dobbs

tenchi ryu
dark night
Dreamcast Games you play Online: ALL of THEM.....thank god for free .cdi's online LOL

Post by tenchi ryu »

yea i think thats it....it comes through the phone line, but its transferred to broadband like dsl i think....does this mean i cant connect? and where can you get old fashioned internet? like from a phone company?

Gary_b
Quantic Dream
Dreamcast Games you play Online: all of them

Post by Gary_b »

tenchi ryu wrote:yea i think thats it....it comes through the phone line, but its transferred to broadband like dsl i think....does this mean i cant connect? and where can you get old fashioned internet? like from a phone company?
AT&T is a phone company and they offer DSL. i assume that is what you are getting. if so they should provide you with a free dial up account. all you will need to do is connect through the dial up account that is provided free of charge. you cannot plug the Dreamcast into the DSL modem! you will plug it into the phone jack, just like old school dial up. next option is to buy a Dreamcast broadband adapter. the BBA does get plugged into the DSL modem. they are not cheap though so expect to pay near $200 for one. i suppose you could try a PC-DC server too, but they are hard to figure out and you would need an old PC to run windows 98 or your could use linux on a newer one. you should know windows XP, Vista and 7 are not a real option for a pc-dc server.