Reporting bugs with the PSO server

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

BlueCrab
Developer

Reporting bugs with the PSO server

Post#1 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:29 pm

So, as with any software, the PSO server has its own fair share of bugs. I would appreciate it if people would kindly report any bugs they have, with as much information as they can about how to reproduce them. Since I do most of my testing on my own I don't always catch everything (although, I do test periodically with all versions that the server software supports, especially when I have a feeling that something I do might break one of them).

You can either do it here in this topic/forum, or by using the issue tracker on the Sylverant Project Google Code project. You can find that issue tracker here: http://code.google.com/p/sylverant/issues/list

I would prefer things on the issue tracker, since it makes it easier for me to manage things, but I know that it isn't always the most convenient thing in the world to deal with.

(It'd be nice if this could get stickied or something so people notice it).

Favrenation
Outrun

Re: Reporting bugs with the PSO server

Post#2 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:42 pm

Mike and I confirmed that when a PC player joins a game with only one other player in the game that the DC will NOT be FSODed out. It always happens when more then one player is in the game when the PC player joins.

Also one time when I was playing with two other people. (I'm on PC they are all on DC) we were fighting a boss. I purposely left and I kicked Doc. He had a BBA. The other guy was fine with a linux PC-DC server.
PS2 Online Gaming

grolt
rebel

Post#3 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:57 pm

Yesterday, four of us were playing a guild mission and then midway through someone had to leave. When he left it caused the rest of our games to go out of sync. While we could still see each other, each person basically played their own game, because enemies would be in different locations for each player, and during the final boss fight, it would show on one screen that the boss was dead, but for the other two players we had to still keep fighting it until we killed it ourselves. Then, at the very end of the final boss fight (Dark Falz) we all got booted and lost some loot. It was pretty weird. We also had a crash that was triggered by a PC player joining our team, I believe. Can't remember the details of that now.

BlueCrab
Developer

Post#4 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:04 am

Favrenation wrote:Mike and I confirmed that when a PC player joins a game with only one other player in the game that the DC will NOT be FSODed out. It always happens when more then one player is in the game when the PC player joins.

Also one time when I was playing with two other people. (I'm on PC they are all on DC) we were fighting a boss. I purposely left and I kicked Doc. He had a BBA. The other guy was fine with a linux PC-DC server.
Well, I couldn't make any FSODs happen on my normal test setup at home, no matter what order I connected and disconnected/left the game with. My normal set up is one DCv1, one DCv2, one PC. Also, I really doubt that the BBA has anything to do with it. There's no difference in packets I've ever seen between using the modem and the BBA. I still need to do more testing for this one.

grolt wrote:Yesterday, four of us were playing a guild mission and then midway through someone had to leave. When he left it caused the rest of our games to go out of sync. While we could still see each other, each person basically played their own game, because enemies would be in different locations for each player, and during the final boss fight, it would show on one screen that the boss was dead, but for the other two players we had to still keep fighting it until we killed it ourselves. Then, at the very end of the final boss fight (Dark Falz) we all got booted and lost some loot. It was pretty weird. We also had a crash that was triggered by a PC player joining our team, I believe. Can't remember the details of that now.
This is an odd one (not the part about crashing with a PC player... that I need to research more), and I'm not entirely sure how to explain what's going on with it, although I've seen something similar for the first time in my testing tonight. Basically, what I saw happen is that if I had a DCv1, DCv2, and PC in one game, and the DCv2 left, neither the DCv1 or PC client would send any more packets to the server.

To make matters more odd on this one, the PC player could still see the DCv1 player move around, but the DCv1 player couldn't see the PC player moving. It doesn't make any sense to me why that would happen, since I'd expect what you stated earlier to happen (where everyone is in their own little world).

PSO really does some odd things sometimes...

Favrenation
Outrun

Post#5 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:12 am

When you are out of synch. You can fix it if you go to lobby and come back. Only one person normally does it.
PS2 Online Gaming

MikeStutzzzz
Outrun

Post#6 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:56 am

heres a test though if there is more then 1 player in game and a pc player join is fsod
Meh Stuff http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=18650#p18650
Before you download meh mirrors read this
http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2353&p=22482#p22482

Gary_b
Quantic Dream

Post#7 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:50 am

Favrenation wrote:When you are out of synch. You can fix it if you go to lobby and come back. Only one person normally does it.
that is impossible during a quest though. you cant join a room when they are in a quest!

Dr. Pariolo
Pretty Fly for a White Guy

Post#8 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:35 am

yeah thats why we rarely play quests

Favrenation
Outrun

Post#9 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:16 am

Putting passwords on a game and making people ask for the password will let people know who is joining so some people can go back out to the lobby etc.
PS2 Online Gaming

Radkin
PSOaholic

Post#10 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:17 am

BlueCrab wrote:(It'd be nice if this could get stickied or something so people notice it).

Done deal! ;)
Regards,
Radkin

DC-Talk Store
My Youtube