Reporting bugs with the PSO server

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

BlueCrab
Developer

Re: Reporting bugs with the PSO server

Post#721 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:57 pm

MikeStutzzzz wrote:so is there a v3 disk or v2.1 or somthing like that in the make or should i just burn the v2 disk
I don't have anything planned for any future patcher discs at the moment, so just burn v2. There haven't been any new bugs reported as of yet (that I know of) related to the functionality of it, so I think it'll stick around for a while. ;)

BlueCrab
Developer

Post#722 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:24 pm

Before anyone asks: yes the server is down, no I don't know why nor when it will be back up.

It is an issue on the host itself, as the entire VM it is hosted on is inaccessible.

EDIT: The initial problem has been traced and taken care of, but there are still a few loose ends to tie up. The server should be back and running in the next 24 hours, if all goes well.

BlueCrab
Developer

Post#723 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:04 am

The server should be back up and functioning now. It appears all the ships came back as well.

mautheus
shadow

Post#724 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:48 am

Strange character when clicked About the description of the server playing PSO GC.
I'm at work now and do not remember which ship it happened.
http://cdn.imghack.se/medium/2168205a6a ... 88395b.jpg

BlueCrab
Developer

Post#725 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:20 pm

It's not on a ship (GC doesn't have an information counter on ships), and the asterisk is completely intended. That's exactly how the message file is on the server itself:

Code: Select all

Sylverant is an open-source Phantasy Star Online
Server for *nix. It is licensed under the GNU AGPL
Version 3.

For reference, *nix generally refers to any Unix-like operating system, but without using the trademarked term "Unix". Generally you'll see operating systems like Linux, FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD, and even sometimes Mac OS X referred to in this manner.

mautheus
shadow

Post#726 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:30 pm

BlueCrab wrote:It's not on a ship (GC doesn't have an information counter on ships), and the asterisk is completely intended. That's exactly how the message file is on the server itself:

Code: Select all

Sylverant is an open-source Phantasy Star Online
Server for *nix. It is licensed under the GNU AGPL
Version 3.

For reference, *nix generally refers to any Unix-like operating system, but without using the trademarked term "Unix". Generally you'll see operating systems like Linux, FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD, and even sometimes Mac OS X referred to in this manner.

Thanks for the explanation ... Thought to be a bug.
Maybe you have plans to make a Windows-like interface to the Server?
Even more. It's great to have Sylverant to play. My congratulations for the great project.

brourke228
Game Server Admin

Post#727 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:05 pm

mautheus wrote:Thanks for the explanation ... Thought to be a bug.
Even more. It's great to have Sylverant to play. My congratulations for the great project.

You can run the server on Windows using cygwin. That's how we hosted our ship a few years ago. See here: http://code.google.com/p/sylverant/wiki/CompileCygwin
Regards,
brourke228

BlueCrab
Developer

Post#728 » Sat Dec 28, 2013 12:17 am

brourke228 wrote:
mautheus wrote:Thanks for the explanation ... Thought to be a bug.

You can run the server on Windows using cygwin. That's how we hosted our ship a few years ago. See here: http://code.google.com/p/sylverant/wiki/CompileCygwin
I think what he's asking for is a GUI for the configuration and day-to-day functions of the server. If that's the case, then no, I do not have any plans for such a GUI program for the server.

There's a couple of reasons for that...
  1. I wouldn't particularly find it useful, as I find the current method of configuration to be much more in-line with what one would expect for a server program on a Unix-like Operating System.
  2. The server I use Sylverant on actually doesn't have any sort of GUI installed, so if there was such a thing it'd probably be something based on ncurses or something to that effect that runs in a terminal.
  3. I absolutely hate writing GUI programs, in general. ;)
  4. As an addendum, if you're specifically looking for a Windows program, I don't use Windows any more than I have to (so, pretty much only for a few games), so I try not to write programs for it either. I like to use the programs I write as often as possible to make sure they still work as intended.
  5. I'm lazy and GUIs tend to make things more difficult to configure, in my humble opinion. :lol:

That all said, the documentation and source code is out there if anyone else really wants to make such a thing. That's the beauty of open-source. :mrgreen:

BlueCrab
Developer

Post#729 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:24 pm

Sometime tonight (UTC-5), I'll be taking down the main Sylverant server for an OS upgrade (from FreeBSD 8.4 to FreeBSD 10.0). I'm hoping to keep the overall downtime to a minimum, but a large amount of the software on the server will have to be rebuilt to actually perform the update. During any downtime, the website and PSO server will pretty much be completely inaccessible.

Just wanted to warn everyone that isn't following my twitter of that ahead of time. With any luck, everything should be up and running sometime on Tuesday (once again, UTC-5).

MikeStutzzzz
Outrun

Post#730 » Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:20 am

hmm has anyone else been dropping out when loading online quests?
Meh Stuff http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=18650#p18650
Before you download meh mirrors read this
http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2353&p=22482#p22482