Reporting bugs with the PSO server

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Favrenation
Outrun

Re: Reporting bugs with the PSO server

Post#41 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:57 pm

Maybe you could use Cygwin in your test server.
PS2 Online Gaming

BlueCrab
Developer

Post#42 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:08 pm

Favrenation wrote:Maybe you could use Cygwin in your test server.
I can't reinstall the OS on my test server, as the machine is out on the Internet somewhere (I don't have physical access to it). Also, the same things I said about reinstalling the software on this server apply there as well. The machine that my server runs on also hosts my website and other stuff, so I cannot do that. Not to mention that I don't have a copy of any sort of Windows Server OS to install anyway (and I'm not going to pirate it either).

Also, as I mentioned earlier, there's a reason that I don't "support" (read: actively test on) Cygwin: There's too many variables to account for. Different versions of Windows may perform differently, as may different versions of Cygwin itself.

Favrenation
Outrun

Post#43 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:12 pm

I totally agree but what if that is causing the problem? Is there an alternative software to Cygwin?

EDIT How about this? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MinGW

MINGW?
PS2 Online Gaming

BlueCrab
Developer

Post#44 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:26 pm

Favrenation wrote:I totally agree but what if that is causing the problem? Is there an alternative software to Cygwin?

EDIT How about this? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MinGW

MINGW?
If Cygwin is causing the problem than its a Cygwin bug, not anything I can really do anything about.

MinGW might be doable, but its not something that I want to support any more than Cygwin. At least MinGW is a minimal layer over top of Windows (it still relies on the Visual C++ runtime libraries, rather than reimplementing everything from scratch). That said, there would be code changes needed to support MinGW. If anyone wants to try it, feel free, I'm open to patches for the code to support it (as long as it doesn't break anything else).

That said, I would rather not do something like that on my own, as I don't generally use Windows at all unless I have to. Even for doing PSO, I use PSOPC inside of Wine to avoid using Windows. Funny, considering I actually worked at Microsoft as an intern for two summers...

Favrenation
Outrun

Post#45 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:43 pm

Well if you would do the change I think Doc has the physical server and Impusle is the one who controls it.

EDIT: I use PSO PC also. IF I could connect to your server than I could help test.
PS2 Online Gaming

MikeStutzzzz
Outrun

Post#46 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:44 pm

well could you test the non legit cdi file that connects to the current server if thats the case we may have to edit the cdi file. also has anyone consider the fact that pso crashes on quests because of downsampling? i believe tux had this problem in grandia 2 for dc. he had to make somthing non downsampled because it would freeze on the bridge maybe pso is like that as well? the answer 99min cd it would have the less downsappling and i can test the iso if neccesary (i have plenty of the 99 min cd-rs)
Meh Stuff http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=18650#p18650
Before you download meh mirrors read this
http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2353&p=22482#p22482

Dr. Pariolo
Pretty Fly for a White Guy

Post#47 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:25 am

Clearly i wont ask you to make it compatible with cygwin, thats hard no needed work, we rather adapt our server to your configuration, hoping we will meet the same performance as yours is holding, with no fsod.

So what exactly are you using? What host os, virtual machine engine, and virtual os?

Thank you.

K_I_R_E_E_K

Post#48 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:14 am

Offline quests freeze on the cd-r copies, we can't say the problem is the quest because it has the same info as in the original disk.

For now, i recomend pc players making the game and then dc joining them, this problem doesn't seem to be different from the one that exists with schthack software.

It is possible to create a non fsod game, with the correct burner, the correct disk, the correct software, the correct speed, the correct sort and with the correct outerspace planet alignment. (rather luck then anything else)

Favrenation
Outrun

Post#49 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:20 am

I think Bluecrab uses FreeBSD.
PS2 Online Gaming

BlueCrab
Developer

Post#50 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:41 am

Favrenation wrote:I think Bluecrab uses FreeBSD.
Correct. Specifically, I'm using FreeBSD 7.2-RELEASE inside a VMWare VM. As for what the host OS is, that I don't know off the top of my head (I don't own the machine its on), but I'd guess it was probably Linux.

As I said though, there's only a possibility that its Cygwin causing this. There's plenty of other possibilities, and I don't recommend redoing the whole system to install FreeBSD. Updating Cygwin might be a good idea though, if its not fully up-to-date.

That said, since the server was updated to r160, has the problem with FSODs still persisted? What about the problem where everyone was in their own little world?