Free Dialup ISP's that work well with Dreamcast

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

natelegz
minority

Re: Free Dialup ISP's that work well with Dreamcast

Post#41 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:15 pm

That Free Dail-up for rhode island was so clutch back in the day this thread brought back memories

devilroad
noob

Post#42 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:22 pm

Hello all.
You should try terradialup.com , a project for free dial-up all over the world, including for gaming purpose.
Request your user.

Stewcumber
rebel

Post#43 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:16 am

So.. to connect your dreamcast to the internet over dialup, you can just plug the modem straight into the phone socket without a router?

Here in the UK, I get my 'fibre' broadband through a special connection in the house rather than ADSL over the phoneline. This means my phone socket is going unused (I don't have a house phone), but the line should be active because I have to pay line rental. So in theory I could connect my dreamcast straight to the phone line without stopping the house's broadband connection.

I have found http://www.nippyinternet.co.uk/dial_up/index.html which seems to say that I can just dial that number (1p per minute after 6pm) from my dreamcast and that's it?

Is there a catch (outside of potentially crappy performance)?

shinji14
noob

Post#44 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:40 am

is there a way to connect with a mobile line?

Nz17
St.Jimmy

Post#45 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:42 am

@Stew: Yes, as long as the line is "live," then you can use any regular "landline" telephone, modem, or fax machine on a particular telephone line/socket. Therefore you should be able to connect your Dreamcast with no router required. (Technically speaking, the ISP would have a router located at their building, but you don't need to worry about it. ;))

@Shin: I believe you could take the route of Dreamcast to DreamPi to Wi-Fi to mobile Wi-Fi wireless router hotspot (such as a MiFi). Of course, you don't need to use a dedicated device like a MiFi; you can just use a typical Android-based smartphone and create a "tethered connection."

For more information about that, see
[ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MiFi ]
[ https://www.wikihow.com/Tether-With-Android ]
[ https://lifehacker.com/5447347/how-to-t ... roid-phone ]

Note that you can use either your Wi-Fi or mobile network connection; if the case of the former, you are good to go without extra permission; with a mobile (cell) connection, your mobile carrier must support tethering, so consult their documentation or support personnel.

Blue_Rogue
shadow

Post#46 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:47 am

For those In Australia, Dodo have a dialup connection for AUD$1 a month. Unlimited download and connection costs, 128kbs. Just call sales and they will set you up even if your not a Dodo subscriber (Im with Optus).

DreamMe
noob

Post#47 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:20 pm

Awesome, will remember this for later!

maciver6969
noob

Post#48 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:32 pm

I bought the Dreampi and it works really well but I found it needs to be reset from time to time. YMMV

Nemu
shadow

Post#49 » Sun Dec 26, 2021 5:42 pm

I knew having a landline would pay off eventually :D
Browsing
Dreamcast-talk
is habit-forming!
Don't close your browser!

DoggyDotCom
noob