Phantasy Star Online Server Software?

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

ZacharyFurgeson
shadow
Dreamcast Games you play Online: Phantasy Star Online
Quake III Arena
Maximum Pool

Phantasy Star Online Server Software?

Post by ZacharyFurgeson »

I want to be able to host a PSO server, is there a way to create one? Or would it be too complicated.
BlueCrab
Developer

Re: Phantasy Star Online Server Software?

Post by BlueCrab »

Well, its not that hard to do, but there is work to do to set it up and maintain it. The main question I'd ask is why?

Setting up a bunch of little tiny servers does nothing but fragment the community further than it already is. If you've got some friends and you all want to play, why not just join one of the existing servers. You'll probably find other people to play with and all.

Note, I am the author of the Sylverant PSO Server. This site's ship "Vega" runs my software and connects to the main Sylverant shipgate.
ZacharyFurgeson
shadow
Quake III Arena
Maximum Pool

I don't know if its me with my dial up "skills" but when I try to connect to your server with the ar codes on. It says it disconnected due to network error(s), but it shows it connect to the internet.
BlueCrab
Developer

Post by BlueCrab »

I doubt that running your own server would fix the problem. Plus then you'd have to figure out your own list of AR codes and whatnot too. ;)

Have you tried using the Sylverant PSO Patcher disc instead of the AR codes? I doubt it would make any difference, but if somehow you mistyped something it would.
ZacharyFurgeson
shadow
Quake III Arena
Maximum Pool

Alright, when I get home from school I will try it.
K_I_R_E_E_K

Post by K_I_R_E_E_K »

You can use schtserv i guess, i have the public software if you want, it doesn't alow any kind of tweaking, best you can do is probably make quests and test them, but can be used for playing altough i'm not sure how many bugs there are.

Or as bluecrab said, you can try the patcher for the original game or an autoconnect disk wich is as simple as download and play, it removes the necessity of using CB codes because the game connects to the server automaticly.
Mateoman
shadow

Post by Mateoman »

K_I_R_E_E_K, how does the autconnect disk for schthack's server work? Does it work just as automatically with the BBA? If I have such a disk, is it as easy as popping it in and playing, or are there steps I still must first take (DNS address updates, moving between PSO v1 and v2 to set things up, port forwarding, Dr. DNS, etc.)?

Also, do you have the image file (preferably .cdi) on hand? Or could you provide me a working link? All of my previous go-to sources for DC images linked to megaupload, and for obvious reasons those links are now bunk. I've never actually played PSO before, and would really love to get into the community.

I'm just getting a little fatigued with all the Q3A master server tinkering I've been doing lately, and would love to play a BBA game on the DC where it's as simple as pop-in-and-play. A guy can dream, right? :)
K_I_R_E_E_K

Post by K_I_R_E_E_K »

Oh yeah, have to tell impulse about that, the download is a megaupload link, got to change that.
For the time beeing, you can use this: http://dcisozone.com/downloads/847/Phan ... ed%29.html

Connect guide with all methods: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=274

Note: schthack server has players, but they will not be able to play with you, playing PSO v2 on your own private server or at schthack server is the same thing, there won't be anyone for you to play with.
If you want to chat to BB players, schthack might be good, if you want to play, go to sylverant.

I have the game image here (for the dc-talk/sylverant autoconnect), but where am i going to upload this?
Aleron Ives
Outrun
Phantasy Star Online Ver.2

Post by Aleron Ives »

The "network errors" message when you try to go online means that you didn't disable the Hunter's License check. You need to add the CB code for that, and then you'll be able to connect.

Regarding selfboot copies of PSOv2, be aware that they don't work 100% correctly. You'll freeze and lose your inventory information if someone joins your team when you're not on Pioneer 2, and the problem also prevents you from playing Challenge mode and the offline quests.
"Fear the HUnewearl."
K_I_R_E_E_K

Post by K_I_R_E_E_K »

If you want to use a selfboot game image, i can say that there is a chance you might fsod when a pc player joins, doesn't matter your location, you will fsod.
Keep in mind, server software, cd-r disk used, speed of recording used, program to record used are all variables and no one was able to pin point the problem so far, as a fact sylverant server is less likely to cause problems compared with schthack server according with actual reports on the players here, but there are chances that you will fsod, the problems have decreased but are not gone entirely.
As for dc players joining, no problems there i believe.

If you are afraid of losing your items, i recomend checking server commands to back up your char on the server (wich should be checked with or without cd-r versions of the game), you can also duplicate your save to another memory card and make constant backups before going online, as a last alternative, if you lose your equips, simply ask a GM like myself to remake them, the items if legit, can be used in legit games with no problems.

For the offline quests, if you are in the mood to do some, i can give you a guide for the problematic quests and ways of avoiding the BSOD (black screen of death) or FSOD (frozzen screen of death), in most cases it takes an extra 1-2 minutes, if you are ok with that.