DCTALK servers will be down

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

brourke228
Game Server Admin
Dreamcast Games you play Online: Only PSO v2, 4x4 Evo, Quake III Arena, StarLancer, Max Pool, Planet Ring

Re: DCTALK servers will be down

Post by brourke228 »

Yeah we were trying to set this up on linux. I realize there is a bug you submitted a few years back about not being able to join games, but i still wanted to try it out anyway. It seems whenever someone is in a game on the ship when another player goes to join the games list doesn't appear and the game hangs, but doesnt freeze or disconnect. It also seems to hang sometimes when a player tries to join the ship and someone else is in-game. So I think there is probably still an issue with sylverant on linux. Right now we are looking to either use cygwin through wine, freebsd in virtualbox, or native freebsd install on the server. I'm not sure if freebsd will work with all the other game servers though, or the hardware for that matter since it's pretty new. So we are trying to see if there is any other way to get this setup under linux before doing any of that.
Regards,
brourke228

K_I_R_E_E_K

Post by K_I_R_E_E_K »

In all due reality the only person not alowed on the server would the the side admin at schtserv (lee) for ddos, auto bans, usage of server exploits,.... and in general not letting players play, since he has never made a char to come in the server then there should be no one on the ban list.
Last edited by K_I_R_E_E_K on Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
BlueCrab
Developer

Post by BlueCrab »

Sylverant will not work under Linux if you want Dreamcast players to be able to play. This is an issue with Linux itself, and not Sylverant, unfortunately.

FreeBSD, of course, works perfectly. ;)
Also, most other programs that work on Linux should also work on FreeBSD.
brourke228
Game Server Admin
Dreamcast Games you play Online: Only PSO v2, 4x4 Evo, Quake III Arena, StarLancer, Max Pool, Planet Ring

Post by brourke228 »

We're running freebsd 9 now on the server. The dctalk PSO ship is back up and working without any issues now. The max pool server and Quake 3 master server are also up. The Quake 3 FFA and CTF servers are still down atm.
Regards,
brourke228

BlueCrab
Developer

Post by BlueCrab »

Good to hear that everything works with FreeBSD 9, considering I'm still on FreeBSD 8.1-RELEASE on my server.
brourke228
Game Server Admin

Post by brourke228 »

Yeah, I actually installed PCBSD because i wanted a desktop environment for remote desktop and setting it up with FreeBSD seemed pretty tedious. It was pretty easy to setup sylverant on there though. I'm still trying to figure out how to get the servers to start automatically when the computer boots up. This is my first time using BSD so I'm not really familiar with it.
Regards,
brourke228

brourke228
Game Server Admin

Post by brourke228 »

The Q3 FFA and CTF servers are up.
Regards,
brourke228

Lakster37
shadow
Dreamcast Games you play Online: Quake III Arena

Post by Lakster37 »

What's the IP for the servers right now? I know the url is dctalk.no-ip.info, but I tried pinging that and didn't get a response so I assume my DNS doesn't know the new IP yet. And are they still on the same ports (FFA server is on port 27960 and CTF is on port 27961)?
brourke228
Game Server Admin

Post by brourke228 »

The server doesn't respond to ping requests. If you need the ip address open up command prompt and type "nslookup dctalk.no-ip.info" or on linux/unix "host dctalk.no-ip.info". And yes, ffa is on 27960 and ctf is on 27961. The game servers were going on and off a little while ago because I was configuring them to start on system bootup and needed to test that they were working by rebooting. Everything is setup now though and all of the dctalk servers are up.
Regards,
brourke228