Dreamcast Ping Test

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

konio38
undertow

Dreamcast Ping Test

Post by konio38 »

Hi there guys lately i have been trying to play PSO via my pc-dc server, im using a Windows 98 pc with a pci modem, now i have a good connection with good speeds on web browsing and downloading files, but on PSO i cant pick up any items, i have been told that my pc-dc server has high latency that causes PSO to not work, now i have been trying to test out my dreamcast latency with no sucess can anyone help me out on finding a Ping tester for the Dreamcast.

Thank you in advance

K_I_R_E_E_K

Re: Dreamcast Ping Test

Post by K_I_R_E_E_K »

Well a pc-dc server is in the best situation exactly the same as dial up, there can be some problems but if you are browsing ok then there shouldn't be any problems.

My doubt is this, a few years back i went to schtserv and i had 2 problems, one was getting into a chinese ship and the other one was getting out of the chinese ship, it took an absurd amount of time just for the server to give me a response, my question is, are you sure you can't pick up items? or do they take a long time to be picked up? does that happen on all ships at schtserv? If you join a game there, do you see lag of some kind? (players not moving, chats appearing all at the same time,.....) Do you experience the same on sylverant? (you could always try the server, much better then the empty schthack one)

The other members may know a way of testing the connection, dc-pc server is not my speciality

konio38
undertow

Post by konio38 »

Well i was a good minute trying to pick up the item so i think is safe to asume that i cant pick it up, i only tryed on one ship. I cant test out joining games has there are no Teams avalible for the Dreamcast, i usualy chat with players in the main looby and it works fine no chats appearing at the same time and the timing between chats if fine. As for sylverant, i was also advised to try that server and i will try it.

I have been trying to search for webpages that test ping but none of them have a protocol compatible with Dreamkey

Also K_I_R_E_E_K é bom saber que tambem existe um Portugues por estas bandas, saudações do Porto.

K_I_R_E_E_K

Post by K_I_R_E_E_K »

Saudações de Santarém :D

Depois conta os resultados.

brourke228
Game Server Admin
Dreamcast Games you play Online: Only PSO v2, 4x4 Evo, Quake III Arena, StarLancer, Max Pool, Planet Ring

Post by brourke228 »

You can test the latency from the host PC by opening up command prompt and typing "ping [ip]", the ip address being the remote IP assigned to dreamcast from the host PC in your PC-DC server. PC-DC dial-in server usually has NAT connection setup so it will only work on the computer that is connected directly to dreamcast.
Regards,
brourke228

konio38
undertow

Post by konio38 »

thx brourke for some reason i had totaly forgot about the ping command -.- anyway i test out and i have virtualy no lag between the computer and the DC. Hopefully the item problem has something to do with the modified version of the game, that i was using, im having a PSO ver.2 GD-rom that i will use to connect to servers so that i can avoid any problems.