Toy Racer Now Works via Dial-Up!

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Re: Toy Racer Now Works via Dial-Up!

Post#11 » Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:10 pm

Sen wrote:I don't understand why I can't connect. I tried to put in 46.101.91.123 as my primary DNS in Dreamkey 3.0, but the game, and Starlancer for that matter don't connect at all.

Unfortunately using real dial-up, the DNS server may be ignored. Chances are that you won't be able to connect with any games that need a specific DNS server.
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

Sen
shadow

Post#12 » Mon Jun 06, 2016 2:08 am

Why? I though the game worked again with dial up. I never seen this mentioned.

Can I do anything about that, without buying a BB adaptor?

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#13 » Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:11 am

Sen wrote:Why? I though the game worked again with dial up. I never seen this mentioned.

It might work with some dial-up ISPs but a lot of them will ignore your DNS preference and use their own. I forget where I saw this but someone had mentioned it before. It explains why you're having a problem connecting to any game that requires a certain DNS like Starlancer and Toy Racer.

Sen wrote:Can I do anything about that, without buying a BB adaptor?

You can try one of the other connection methods listed here. DreamPi is the best method to connect at the moment. You'll notice that one of the cons listed for real dial-up us "May not work with all games"; the DNS issue is the reason for that.
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live