How To: Get Online with DreamPi

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

DarkSynbios
DC-Talk Addict

Re: How To: Get Online with DreamPi

Post#81 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:54 am

mazonemayu wrote:Hey Wiz, I just tried updating Dreampi on my Mac for the first time, here are my findings: you download ApplePi Baker (free) here, put your SD card in your mac, open Pi Baker, browse to the Dreampi image, and click "Restore Backup", the image now gets "baked" to your SD card (takes 2 or 3 minutes)...that's it. Just updated to Dreampi 1.5 & it all works just fine, just been on Vega to test it out.

Piece of cake erm...pi :lol: :lol:

ApplePi Baker is guarantee! :)

mazonemayu
Agent Provocateur

Post#82 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:21 pm

DarkSynbios wrote:ApplePi Baker is guarantee! :)

yeah, tried a few other things, but this was the winner
We are SEGA generation.

Subscribe:

https://youtube.com/user/mazonemayu <———gameplay vids be here

Visit:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/150479343@N06/albums <—-collection piccies here

Raen
Toy Commander

Post#83 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:56 pm

pcwzrd13 wrote:
Raen wrote:Does the Jap counterpart HKT-7100 modem work with 9V?

No idea. A lot of people have asked that same question but I guess no one has tried it yet. I have a Japanese Dreamcast but it's the one without the modem (just a filler plastic piece) so I'm unable to test it.

I have a Jap and also a American modem coming my way, alongside with a Dell NW147 USB modem and a 9V step up USB converter, so I'll let you know if the Jap modem also works with the 9V. The shipping did cost more than the actual modems :?

I gave a look on eBay to some boost converters that could output 18V, so I could use my PAL modem, but they looked more work than fun, since they are not USB ready and apparently can't output 18V directly with a 5V source from what I could understand.

Raen
Toy Commander

Post#84 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:38 am

Hey guys, sorry for double posting but this way you get the new post notification...

I'm currently in the middle of the process of making a PAL LVI inspired by TacT's LVI setup, using a 5V-24V adjustable step-up boost converter from eBay instead of the fixed 9V one.

I've encountered what I think is a problem though. My plan is to instead of getting 5V from a separate USB socket, get the voltage directly from the modem's input, like someone previously suggested and has done. I get 4,97 V from there as it should, but once I solder the cables to the step-up boost converter, it drops to 1,76V and the boost converter can only output 4,55 V maximum, even after tweaking the trimmer. I've tried replacing the step-up boost converter by another one, as I have 3 of them, and the same thing happens.

I'm inserting the step-up boost converter in parallel to the modem, so I shouldn't be getting that voltage drop. I tried to power the modem from an USB wall power adapter (5V 1A output) and the same thing happens. When connected to a computer USB socket, Windows says that the USB device is malfunctioning when the step-up boost converter is coupled to the modem, but not when it is removed.

I've checked the current it draws from the modem's USB input and it only draws 180 uA (0,180 mA). I'm getting out of ideas. The idea that I have, is that I have to adjust the output of the step-up boost converter to 18V before soldering the resistor and the capacitor, and not after soldering and connecting the load circuit. Correct me if I'm wrong.

EDIT: My bad, I was soldering the DATA- pin thinking it was the Ground pin, as it also had 5 V strangely, or not.

alexh86
lithium

Post#85 » Wed May 31, 2017 12:20 pm

Hey, hoping to get a little advice on getting a DreamPi setup going. I've gone through the setup process creating the LVI, flashing the SD card for the Raspberry Pi, configuring the Dreamcast web browser settings, and hooking everything up. I'm pretty confident my issue lies in the LVI but perhaps someone has another idea. Reasons why I believe the LVI to be at fault are below:

I can ping the DreamPi on my network so I believe it to be running and I believe the image was flashed correctly (I even did this twice with two different methods). I've watched two videos on configuring the Dreamcast browser settings and checked three times that I did not make an entry error. My 9V battery is new and also passes the tongue test so I know it to be good. I'm using the recommended Dell USB model so I don't believe modem compatibility is a problem (it was also bought brand new, not used).

When I try connecting the Dreamcast to the internet in the web browser, it attempts to dial for a short while and then gives me a pop-up that there was no answer at the number I attempted to dial.

The only culprit I can think of is the LVI but I even took it all apart and soldered the components together a second time. I'm a competent solderer and have quality tools. Kazade's original blog post includes these troubleshooting steps: https://www.screencast.com/t/iXDBkGeynr8i. When I power on the Raspberry Pi, I do not get both lights, only one. Does that give anyone a clue as to what might be going wrong?

Thanks!

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#86 » Wed May 31, 2017 12:32 pm

alexh86 wrote:When I power on the Raspberry Pi, I do not get both lights, only one. Does that give anyone a clue as to what might be going wrong?

This wouldn't be caused by the LVI. You should get both lights on the modem even if you didn't have the LVI connected. The two most common causes for single light are an incompatible modem (which shouldn't be the case since you have the Dell) or a network issue. It could be that your Pi is connected to the network but not to the internet. I recommend checking your router and making sure it's not blocking anything. People have solved similar issues by turning off their router's firewall. Obviously this isn't the best solution but you can at least find out if that's the issue and then find a better way to unblock the Pi on your router.

Also, have you tried plugging the Pi into a TV or monitor to see if it's booting up?
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

alexh86
lithium

Post#87 » Wed May 31, 2017 12:43 pm

pcwzrd13 wrote:
alexh86 wrote: You should get both lights on the modem even if you didn't have the LVI connected.

That is good to know and helps a lot. I'll play around with my network settings and see if anything is being blocked. Under normal circumstances, the ethernet cable I'm using has a live Internet connection. It's a single cable I've dropped into my game room that feeds a PS4.

I have used the HMDI-out to confirm that the Raspberry Pi is booting up and it seems to be running DreamPi as it should. It boots up to a DreamPi login prompt, is that correct? Once it loads up to this prompt I can ping it successfully in a Terminal window.

alexh86
lithium

Post#88 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:28 am

pcwzrd13 wrote:a network issue

You were absolutely right. I use a powerline adapter to get a hard line connection from my router down to my gameroom. It has always worked perfectly as if it were a 100' ethernet cable for every device I've thrown at it except the DreamPi seems to not like it. As soon as I brought the setup upstairs and linked it to my router with an ethernet cable, I got both lights. I hooked up my Dreamcast and connected right away so there were absolutely no issues with my LVI. It's great to know it works but now I have a new issue as I have no idea how I'll get a data line into my basement that the DreamPi will like. I don't have a Raspberry Pi with wifi.

Thank you for your help, I'm looking forward to my very first run through PSO!

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#89 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:03 pm

alexh86 wrote:You were absolutely right. I use a powerline adapter to get a hard line connection from my router down to my gameroom. It has always worked perfectly as if it were a 100' ethernet cable for every device I've thrown at it except the DreamPi seems to not like it. As soon as I brought the setup upstairs and linked it to my router with an ethernet cable, I got both lights. I hooked up my Dreamcast and connected right away so there were absolutely no issues with my LVI

Awesome! Glad you got it working. You can always grab a USB Wi-Fi adapter for your Pi like this one. You can find my Wi-Fi configuration utility along with instructions here.
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

alexh86
lithium

Post#90 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:58 pm

pcwzrd13 wrote:You can always grab a USB Wi-Fi adapter for your Pi like this one.

Wow, those are cheap. I question whether it will be able to hit my router from where it's at but for $8 it might be worth a shot. Thanks again!