Will a japanese broadband adapter work on an american dreamcast?

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

stachlj958
lithium

Will a japanese broadband adapter work on an american dreamcast?

Post#1 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:38 pm

If I had a HIT-0400 Japanese broadband adapter, could I use it for American stuff?

Sonic1994DC
Carnage

Re: Will a japanese broadband adapter work on an american dreamcast?

Post#2 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:44 pm

stachlj958 wrote:If I had a HIT-0400 Japanese broadband adapter, could I use it for American stuff?

Yes it will work

ch0pzta
GD-ROM

Post#3 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:17 pm

I use a Japanese BBA on my PAL system
Current online Dreamcast games:
Quake 3 Arena - -ch0pzta>
Phantasy Star Online (Version 2) - ch0pzta - HUmar - YELLOWBOZE Lv60-odd

Aleron Ives
Outrun

Post#4 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:58 pm

Both Japanese and North American BBAs are region free, which is good for European players, as Europe never got the BBA at all.
"Fear the HUnewearl."

scaryred24
Sunday Shootout

Post#5 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 5:04 pm

Dreamcast games has a whitelist for peripherals and not region locks. Developers can chose which one can and can not work much like how the Saturn treated peripherals so they don't run into hardware problems. As far as I know no such whitelist works for the BBA since nobody had even implement it at the time. The only thing I could think of it's between id the developers would end up implementing BBA for their games and tools or not.
My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: $2623 ($699 with sales)
  • Games owned: 250
  • Games played: 146 (58%)
  • Hours on record: 1,948.2h

http://www.speedtest.net/result/7087109286Image

Aleron Ives
Outrun

Post#6 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:27 pm

That's not what we mean: some consoles have region lockouts for accessories as well as games, so using a controller or other adapter from Japan won't work on a North American console, because the company wanted you to buy native accessories instead of importing them. The BBA has no such restrictions, but I don't know if any other DC accessories do.

The bootfile in DC games has an accessory whitelist for which things a game supports, but that has nothing to do with region lockouts. The boot file only says VGA allowed: yes/no; it doesn't say anything about which region your VGA box/keyboard/etc. needs to use.
"Fear the HUnewearl."

BlueCrab
Developer

Post#7 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:00 pm

It is possible (for controller-like peripherals) for the software to query for and pay attention to a region code, but pretty much nothing ever did that. The only "region-locked" peripherals for the DC were lightguns -- Sega of America wanted nothing to do with them after the Columbine shooting.

Note that official lightguns actually work fine on the US consoles -- official games just refuse to work with them. The "region locking" in this case is entirely in software and isn't actually really effective anyway.