[Solved] Having issues connecting to the 4x4 master list on DreamPi?

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Re: Having issues connecting to the 4x4 master list on DreamPi?

Post#21 » Sun May 08, 2016 2:51 pm

Ok, it looks like you are getting the correct response from the DNS server but then the Dreamcast is having a problem communicating with the server. I did notice that the IP address of your Dreamcast is 10.0.1.98. Try enabling DMZ for that IP and see if that changes anything. You can also try forwarding all ports to that IP (1-65535) if your router has a port range forwarding option.
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

namine207
core

Post#22 » Sun May 08, 2016 2:53 pm

pcwzrd13 wrote:Ok, it looks like you are getting the correct response from the DNS server but then the Dreamcast is having a problem communicating with the server. I did notice that the IP address of your Dreamcast is 10.0.1.98. Try enabling DMZ for that IP and see if that changes anything. You can also try forwarding all ports to that IP (1-65535) if your router has a port range forwarding option.

That was the one that I had DMZed, but ill try to manually forward the ports. It could be the fault of the Apple Router that my current home network is running under. XD

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#23 » Sun May 08, 2016 2:55 pm

namine207 wrote:That was the one that I had DMZed, but ill try to manually forward the ports. It could be the fault of the Apple Router that my current home network is running under. XD

Yeah, at this point I'd say the problem lies with your network and not the DreamPi. Hopefully the port forwarding will work.
PSO Characters:

namine207
core

Post#24 » Sun May 08, 2016 5:41 pm

pcwzrd13 wrote:
namine207 wrote:That was the one that I had DMZed, but ill try to manually forward the ports. It could be the fault of the Apple Router that my current home network is running under. XD

Yeah, at this point I'd say the problem lies with your network and not the DreamPi. Hopefully the port forwarding will work.

Woo!! Changed out my router to an old Netgear and Starlancer connected on the first try! 4x4 connected to the master server, but when I try to connect to the chat server, it just takes a while to load and then says "Disconnected from chat server."

Edit: Planet Ring is also not connecting, says that it can't connect to the login server. Is it down for anyone else?

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#25 » Sun May 08, 2016 6:02 pm

namine207 wrote:Woo!! Changed out my router to an old Netgear and Starlancer connected on the first try! 4x4 connected to the master server, but when I try to connect to the chat server, it just takes a while to load and then says "Disconnected from chat server."

Yeah, all the servers are down unfortunately. Well, technically the Dreamcast-Talk one is up but it's not working correctly. Hopefully it will be fixed soon.

namine207 wrote:Edit: Planet Ring is also not connecting, says that it can't connect to the login server. Is it down for anyone else?

It appears to be down. I'll let Impulse know. Not that anyone plays it anyway due to the instability of the server. :lol:
PSO Characters:

namine207
core

Post#26 » Sun May 08, 2016 6:11 pm

pcwzrd13 wrote:
namine207 wrote:Woo!! Changed out my router to an old Netgear and Starlancer connected on the first try! 4x4 connected to the master server, but when I try to connect to the chat server, it just takes a while to load and then says "Disconnected from chat server."

Yeah, all the servers are down unfortunately. Well, technically the Dreamcast-Talk one is up but it's not working correctly. Hopefully it will be fixed soon.

namine207 wrote:Edit: Planet Ring is also not connecting, says that it can't connect to the login server. Is it down for anyone else?

It appears to be down. I'll let Impulse know. Not that anyone plays it anyway do to the instability of the server. :lol:

Hahaha yes!! I'm so glad this all worked! Now everything is working perfectly. >:3

Thank you so much for your help! This has been really fun to set up and I can't wait to meet you guys online for the online game nights!

And yeah, I hope it gets fixed and that Planet Ring gets that update soon! I really think I could spend some serious time on it if it was working (and if the auto connect disk is reuploaded so that the non-collectors can play!)

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#27 » Sun May 08, 2016 6:16 pm

Glad I could help! Not much can really go wrong with DreamPi due to the fact that there's nothing to configure (other than the dialing settings on the Dreamcast). Usually if there's an issue, it's related to the user's network or in rare cases, their ISP. Although there may be a bug that's preventing DreamPi users from playing Starlancer. Luke is going to look into it but he's got a lot on his plate at the moment. Luckily Starlancer isn't on the Game Night roster anyway because of server issues (much like Planet Ring).
PSO Characters:

namine207
core

Post#28 » Sun May 08, 2016 6:24 pm

pcwzrd13 wrote:Glad I could help! Not much can really go wrong with DreamPi due to the fact that there's nothing to configure (other than the dialing settings on the Dreamcast). Usually if there's an issue, it's related to the user's network or in rare cases, their ISP. Although there may be a bug that's preventing DreamPi users from playing Starlancer. Luke is going to look into it but he's got a lot on his plate at the moment. Luckily Starlancer isn't on the Game Night roster anyway because of server issues (much like Planet Ring).

Ahh, ok! That makes sense- I was honestly kind of hoping PR wouldn't be on the roster because of how often it crashes. But wow, Starlancer too. Definitely hoping that the Starlancer issues can be resolved, but definitely at Luke's own pace. I know how it feels to have way too much going on and to have to prioritize. XD I read the AFO announcement yesterday and am so glad to have that in there to stir things up a little. It's a good time to be playing Dreamcast. X3

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#29 » Sun May 08, 2016 6:32 pm

namine207 wrote:I was honestly kind of hoping PR wouldn't be on the roster because of how often it crashes. But wow, Starlancer too.

It's not that the Starlancer server crashes a lot but it has other issues; mostly issues seeing games in the list or not being able to join a game. Actually getting online and making a game is usually no problem but I don't think anyone wants to play by themselves. :lol: I had these issues with both the Netopia and DreamPi so I'm not 100% certain it's a DreamPi bug. I've been told others have been able to play fine using Netopia on both ends but I haven't been able to confirm this.
PSO Characters:

namine207
core

Post#30 » Sun May 08, 2016 6:34 pm

pcwzrd13 wrote:
namine207 wrote:I was honestly kind of hoping PR wouldn't be on the roster because of how often it crashes. But wow, Starlancer too.

It's not that the Starlancer server crashes a lot but it has other issues; mostly issues seeing games in the list or not being able to join a game. Actually getting online and making a game is usually no problem but I don't think anyone wants to play by themselves. :lol: I had these issues with both the Netopia and DreamPi so I'm not 100% certain it's a DreamPi bug. I've been told others have been able to play fine using Netopia on both ends but I haven't been able to confirm this.

You know, now that I think about it, when I had my Netopia setup it would never let me join games! I guess that explains that one! :lol: