Online Japanese Titles

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Cornerb0y
stalker

Online Japanese Titles

Post#1 » Mon May 30, 2016 2:09 am

With the talk of AFO and others coming back, as well as the possibility of the SNAP service, where does this leave the Japanese titles that had online access? I'd love to play some Capcom Vs. SNK 2 online.

Nico0020
Sunday Shootout

Re: Online Japanese Titles

Post#2 » Mon May 30, 2016 2:39 am

A lot of the Japanese titles like the formatching service games iirc used completely different network setups that were exclusive to Japan.

I think I remember reading with todays networks it would be near impossible to recreate. Someone correct me if I am wrong

androiddreamcast
dirty sailor

Post#3 » Mon May 30, 2016 12:04 pm

What does SNAP mean ?

Jdlockefeller
noob

Post#4 » Mon May 30, 2016 3:40 pm

Wait! AFO is coming back?!! :)

Cornerb0y
stalker

Post#5 » Mon May 30, 2016 5:53 pm

androiddreamcast wrote:What does SNAP mean ?

http://www.dcserv.org/?p=150

Jdlockefeller wrote:Wait! AFO is coming back?!! :)

http://www.dcserv.org/?p=315

DR TEAMCAST
Uber

Post#6 » Mon May 30, 2016 8:07 pm

I've asked Petter3K about this in the past. His reply was that those games used KDDI, which depended on a Japanese telephone switching hardware called Dwango. Something to that effect. KDDI couldn't be done outside of japan because the telephone infrastructure there would be close to impossible/very expensive to replicate elsewhere. I suppose Dwango could be emulated as software, but you'd need to actually have the hardware. And know enough about it

That is only how I recall what Petter3K said. I might have paraphrased a little bit, or got some of those details wrong. Maybe he can chime in here and give a more elaborate or correct explanation. But in short, because KDDI depended on the Dwango telephone switching tech, it would make that a pretty insanely difficult thing to achieve. At least without the hardware. Because essentially you'd have to write an emulator for Japan's entire telephone network infrastructure from almost 20 years ago
ImageImage
Forum for Dreamcast and Saturn browsers http://bb.dreampipe.net
Media, News, Events and more for your Sega Dreamcast internet browser at http://dreampipe.net

Roareye
Rank 9

Post#7 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:48 am

The KDDI appears to be well deciphered thanks to the PS2 community, it's the Dwango system that's the real stumbling block.

I'm an absolute dumbass when it comes to this stuff but rather than trying to figure out how to emulate the Dwango system (which has been stated to be very unlikely), I would assume almost every game interacts with Dwango in the same way (as it seems to be essentially a language for sending signals via analog switches, correct me if I'm wrong).
If my assumption is correct, then reverse engineering a single game and patching the ISO might be enough to unlock the online features of these older JP titles. If each game uses the same algorithm for Dwango then applying the patch to each game and emulating KDDI could be an answer.

However I fully admit that my knowledge is nil, I'm just hoping to suggest a way to tackle it that may not have been considered before lol

Roareye
Rank 9

Post#8 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:12 pm

I have another question regarding this Japanese Online affair, does PSO from Japan work okay or does is also suffer from the Dwango problem?

beanboy
Wazza

Post#9 » Tue May 05, 2020 5:04 pm

Dwango? So that's what it's called. Interesting.

Bob Dobbs
Sub Genius

Post#10 » Tue May 05, 2020 8:57 pm

Roareye wrote:I have another question regarding this Japanese Online affair, does PSO from Japan work okay or does is also suffer from the Dwango problem?

The NTSC/J can connect just like the NTSC/U versions.
Regards,
Bob Dobbs