DreamPi with an external serial modem

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

sega dude
undertow

DreamPi with an external serial modem

Post#1 » Sun Nov 06, 2016 8:27 pm

I have a CenDyne external serial 56k modem that I use on a normal Linux desktop PC with a Belkin F5U409 Serial to USB adapter. This modem with this Serial to USB adapter works fine without a line voltage inducer on the normal Linux PC. The PC is running Debian 8. I have connected and browsed the web and connected to PSO countless times with this setup. Now I want to use this modem with DreamPi on a on a 256MB Raspberry Pi Model B, so my setup can be a little more portable. However, I haven't been able to get this modem to work with DreamPi. I have tried with an older version of DreamPi, and with the new DreamPi 1.5. It just doesn't work. I'm not sure if DreamPi is even recognizing the modem. Any ideas?

-drez01-
Tank Jr.

Re: DreamPi with an external serial modem

Post#2 » Sun Nov 06, 2016 8:38 pm

I am having the same problem with my model B. I have an external serial modem and a usb adapter as well. It worked fine with all games. Dream pi 1.1 was the version I had. Now that I have upgraded to 1.5 to play alien front, it doesn't work. I get no carrier...

EDIT: I Tried Dream Pi version 1.2 with the same results. Reverted back to v1.1 and it seems to be the only release that works with this setup. I like not having to use a lvi so I will stick with this for now. Hope it works for you to.

Here is version 1.1

https://mega.nz/#!lUkhkJKK!8_tRiYiy7J-0 ... w0-dCrL6lc

-drez01-
Tank Jr.

Post#3 » Thu Nov 10, 2016 5:08 pm

sega dude wrote:Now I want to use this modem with DreamPi on a on a 256MB Raspberry Pi Model B, so my setup can be a little more portable. However, I haven't been able to get this modem to work with DreamPi. I have tried with an older version of DreamPi, and with the new DreamPi 1.5. It just doesn't work. I'm not sure if DreamPi is even recognizing the modem. Any ideas?

Just wondering if you have tried dreampi 1.1 with any success? I Can't be the only one with this problem...

sega dude
undertow

Post#4 » Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:20 pm

Just tried it and to my surprise, it worked. It worked with the web browser. Can't try PSO since Sylverant is down, and I don't have any other online Dreamcast games.

-drez01-
Tank Jr.

Post#5 » Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:47 pm

Haha yessss! Success! Its gotta be the serial modems themselves then. Just incase you want to play AFO in the future, here is how I got it working with v1.1

"Add the dreamcast's IP to your routers DMZ"

"'Log in with username "pi" and password "raspberry" and then enter the following command:

sudo iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -p tcp -d 63.251.242.131 -j DNAT --to-destination 146.185.135.179

Note that this will be erased when you power off or restart the Pi so you'll have to enter it again."
"There are several ways of keeping the IPTables rules after a reboot, you can google if you want that."

sega dude
undertow

Post#6 » Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:48 pm

Something must have changed after DreamPi 1.1 that makes serial modems not work. Thanks for the information, I do plan to get AFO eventually.

-drez01-
Tank Jr.

Post#7 » Fri Nov 11, 2016 2:48 pm

Hey no problem dude. I'm glad that my troubleshooting helped someone else get their serial-pi online

kazade
Developer

Post#8 » Sat Nov 12, 2016 10:17 am

BTW, I think I've found the problem!

1.6 might just be the release for your serial modem users ;)

-drez01-
Tank Jr.

Post#9 » Sat Nov 12, 2016 1:35 pm

Great news! Nice detective work kazade. Batman would be proud! Thank you for thinking of the few of us. I appreciate it and realize it is probably time consuming. I will donate, perhaps a US modem? Thanks again :D