Dreamcast Now! Service Usernames

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

tmjwid
Anarki

Re: Dreamcast Now! Service Usernames

Post#71 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 4:34 pm

Ryochan7 wrote:Although the current android app has been good to have, the program has a fair share of problems. The program crashes regularly when refreshing lists, the program will hang on a black screen and crash if the server cannot be contacted at startup (made the app useless for almost a whole day), rendering is slow and choppy when scrolling through lists, and it takes several seconds to switch views.

Since the program is not open source and possible fixes cannot be made and submitted, I just ended up making a clone of the current program. It has been useful and it might be worth sharing. Just to note, it will not work on Android 7 (Nougat) due to OpenSSL libraries not being included in that version of Android. If interested, a future build could be made with the necessary libraries bundled with the application.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/310 ... ow_0.1.apk

Source: https://bitbucket.org/Ryochan7/dcnow-qtquick

The current version is extremely simple because I wanted to get something out for people to use. It is no where near any level of quality from what I hope the final product will be, it's an early alpha at best. The problems with blackscreen I've never seen, but I can imagine it happens when connection is poor. The long times between changes of views is because it's all ui blocking at the moment (was quicker to just leave it). List scrolling is bad on android and xamarin is garbage for this. I'll hopefully have a better list in the near future.

I'm currently working on the next build now and I am including all the non ui blocking code in this release. I'll also be adding some error handling on failed downloads of the data from the server.

I'll open the source now so people can contribute. I'm just wondering why you didn't ask me if you could contribute?
https://bitbucket.org/tmjwid/dreamcastnowxamarin
Thanks for the ssl tip, i'll have a look how this effects xamarin.

Jako
Sunday Shootout

Post#72 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:08 pm

Thanks!!! :-)
Be Dreamcast My Friend!!!

Ryochan7
Teriaaaaa

Post#73 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:33 pm

Thank you for opening up the app. I looked around at the source code and there are a couple of potential null object problems that could lead to the crashes that I had seen; the problem should not occur when a proper web response is received. I hope that changes to the layout can improve rendering performance a bit. As for the SSL bit, that is a Qt specific problem when deploying to Android that I didn't find out about until testing the apk on a virtual device running Nougat.

tmjwid
Anarki

Re: RE: Re: Dreamcast Now! Service Usernames

Post#74 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:34 am

Ryochan7 wrote:Thank you for opening up the app. I looked around at the source code and there are a couple of potential null object problems that could lead to the crashes that I had seen; the problem should not occur when a proper web response is received. I hope that changes to the layout can improve rendering performance a bit. As for the SSL bit, that is a Qt specific problem when deploying to Android that I didn't find out about until testing the apk on a virtual device running Nougat.

Yeah there will be a few things still but I am handling all Web request exceptions now (well should be anyway). I just need to do messages and what not when a Web request fails now.

Yeah most of the loading performance issues should be solved as all Web requests are properly threaded now, so all the lockups on slow connections have proper loading screens.
As for list performance, I've not really looked into it as this app is really in the poc stages I'd rather get things working at this stage. You're more than welcome to send me a pull request with fixes though.

I've created a new thread for all app talk so let's continue there :-)

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk