DreamPi Wi-Fi Configuration Utility (Updated to v1.3)

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

stachlj958
lithium

Re: DreamPi Wi-Fi Configuration Utility

Post#11 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:43 pm

Xerxes3rd wrote:Here's a one-liner to install it:

Code: Select all

wget -q "http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/download/file.php?id=3140&sid=d5fce109417891267867f5bc723227cd" -O /tmp/wificonfig.zip && cd /tmp && unzip -o wificonfig.zip && sudo dpkg -i /tmp/wificonfig.deb

Do I just copy and paste that into the command line on the Pi?

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#12 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:50 pm

stachlj958 wrote:Do I just copy and paste that into the command line on the Pi?

Yes but don't use that one because the link changed. Use the one on the first post.
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

BananaXX
undertow

Post#13 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:09 am

Is there some special way to input a SSID that contains spaces and a apostrophe? If not, how hard would it be to incorporate such functionality?

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#14 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:57 am

BananaXX wrote:Is there some special way to input a SSID that contains spaces and a apostrophe? If not, how hard would it be to incorporate such functionality?

I didn't implement any restrictions on characters so you should be able to type in anything you want.

Edit: I just tried it and it does seem to have a problem with spaces. I really don't know how to fix it though. It seems to be because the Linux command line interprets a space as a new line (so adding a space in the SSID will cancel out the next line (the Wi-Fi password).

The easiest solution would be to just change the spaces in your SSID to underscores or just remove the spaces altogether. Alternatively you can configure the Wi-Fi manually by following the instructions in the video below.

PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

Chael
fire

Post#15 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:10 pm

Leaving this here in case someone has the same problem.

The Pi wasn't connecting to wifi after having done everything right (no inet addr adress).

Changing the password encryption setting from WPA to either WPA2 or WPA/WPA2 fixed it.

itsthinkingstill
Vagabond

Post#16 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:48 pm

Is there anyway to get the IP of the Pi when your trying Wifi so im not a unnamed person of Dreamcast Now? The Ip my router says the Pi is is not actually it and iv tried all other Ips it might have got and Dreamcast Now has not been able to detect it

tripletopper
blackout!

Post#17 » Sat May 04, 2019 6:40 pm

I got a question, does the wifi radio device have to be physically integrated with the Dreampi, or can it bew an external Ehternet-to-Wifi Bridge, like a device from vonets.com ? I don't know if i have to load a separate wifi file into the DreamPi.

By the way, all these loading instructions assume I have windows. What if I have a Macintosh? (which I do, exclusively, hence why the security can be nil)

Might as well while I'm doing this... how do I add the Google Gmail file for Sega Swirl to the SD card?

tripletopper
blackout!

Post#18 » Fri May 17, 2019 12:11 pm

Do you need the WiFi PI code if plugging it in with an Ethernet based WiFi Bridge instead of a USB based one?

Also the Dreampi screen is completely black when plugged into HDMI, but it recognizes a signal, because my HDMI switcher switches to it.

I really want to get online with the Dreamcast, but it seems very hard. It’s definitely not as easy as setting up the Dreamcast back in the day.

I would love to give a glowing review on 56ok.org , by saying it’s actually a good set of games to play online if your maximum inbound speed is 1.6 Mb/s and maximum outbound speed is 400 kb/s. But if no one helps me, it’s hard to give a good review.

But If I get faster internet before then, I’ll say that unless you’re familiar with Linux, command line structure, and a lot of stuff the average console gamer doesn’t usually get involved it, you’re pretty much shut out.

And I am in talks with Sprint to have an unlimited "3G+" data via wifi card. With speeds of 5-40 Mb/s in 2-20 Mb/s out, which beats my current internet like an olympian beats me in a 100 meter dash, there would be less reason to recommend to slow speed users the Dreamcast Online in 2019, when for $30 a month, which is cheaper than my current DSL, you get faster internet at home AND on the road WITH a 3DS or Switch, and actually play Xbox Live and stream it out on Twitch.

I know my website gets very few views, but I’m literally the only entry on Google that targets that audience. I try to find a similar website, and none exist. I can’t even find myself on google unless I type in the website directly in google search.

Xiden
Developer

Post#19 » Sat May 18, 2019 2:59 am

tripletopper wrote:I got a question, does the wifi radio device have to be physically integrated with the Dreampi, or can it bew an external Ehternet-to-Wifi Bridge, like a device from vonets.com ? I don't know if i have to load a separate wifi file into the DreamPi.

By the way, all these loading instructions assume I have windows. What if I have a Macintosh? (which I do, exclusively, hence why the security can be nil)

Might as well while I'm doing this... how do I add the Google Gmail file for Sega Swirl to the SD card?

Is your ethernet to wifi bridge linux compatible? Can it be pre-configured with your mac first then put on the pi? If that's the case you not need a wifi program as it would just use the existing ethernet as if if were connected directly to a router.

Put the sd card in your mac, drag and drop the gmail.sh file on to the card (root directory). Then plug a hdmi cable on the pi and connect to a tv. Turn on pi, follow these instructions:
https://www.dreamcastlive.net/sega-swirl-guide.html

Fyi if you plan to game online with cell phone internet, its going to be a unfortunately very laggy experience for you. The speed isn't the problem, the buffer bloat that cellphone internet adds. Since nearly all dreamcast games utilize a p2p connection, it will take your connection longer to send/receive packets. Server based games like Quake 3 will probably run fine though.

tripletopper
blackout!

Post#20 » Sat May 18, 2019 5:36 pm

Right now, I’m using the really buggy Dreampi 1.7

So we have to fix THAT issue first.

Second, we have to test if the ethernet device works with a working Dreampi.

Third about cell phone games, will Sprint Direct Connect Data solve the issue? Tex Tiexera, the Sprint Executive Engineer says Data can go both at high speed and low ping time with Direct Connect Data.

I was thinking of a similar idea to turn AY CONSOLE GAME with a multiplayer mode that’s single/split screen mode and maximum one player per joystick, (meaning sharing controls like with certain Intellivision games will have to be Scout’s Honor) can e turned online if you’re within 2400 km by beating half a frame’s ping time there and back. I assume if you can fit data within a half frame, then you don’t need to buffer data, store positions, anticipate opponents etc. Because all moves will be transmitted and received within a half frame. The baisc idea is available at http://netrogames.com