Vanishing Point

A section to post your reviews of Dreamcast games. See rules for details.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Rating System: Please include a rating on the scale from 1 to 10. Make sure to put the name of the game in the topic title (game name must be first in the title) Example: 'Toy Racer Review by yadayadagames'. Also include a poll with options 1-10 other users can rate the game (you can add our own subtitles for each ranking or leave it blank). Example: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewtop ... f=34&t=789

Poll: Vanishing Point: Racing Bliss or Driving P*ss?

1 I'd rather play Exhibition Of Speed
No votes
2 I'd rather play in the traffic
No votes
3 I'd rather be playing Sun Bingo
No votes
4 I'd rather play with myself
14%
5 Yu Suzuki has his pencil ready!
5%
6 So near yet so far
14%
7 It lacks the Sega touch
27%
8 Look mum, no hands
14%
9 WOTS MSR?!
14%
10 SCUD RACE? CRUD RACE! Vanishing Point IS the second coming!
14%
Total votes: 22

Ro Magnus Larsson
Vagabond

Re: Vanishing Point

Post#41 » Wed Nov 09, 2022 10:22 am

This game would deserves an update, maybe a new cars mod!
Ro Magnus
Argentina.-

cbx
shadow

Re: Vanishing Point

Post#42 » Sun Jan 29, 2023 4:53 pm

VP was one of the first games I played on my Dreamcast when I got one around 2012(?). It was included in the small set of games I bought with the used unit. A little later I upgraded to a USB GDROM and a while a go I replaced the annoyingly loud fan unit with a brand new noctua fan despite not playing all that much anymore. I've seen and tried virtually every game for the DC there is and VP is still one of my favourite games on the DC. Wether the physics engine is realistic or not is debatable but at the very least all the cars have distinct characteristics and give you the impression that you're feeling the car and it's not arbitrary or ridiculous.The super-solid 60 hz framerate along with the perfect no popup level design are an adrenaline guarantee for the first rounds everytime I play. If it only had more than the dozen or so of tracks, I would likely still play it all the time.

MSR has, for sure, more variation, creativity in its gameplay and overall a great vibe to it but the visibility is distinctly harder on my eyes. In VP you can really look at the vanishing point and see where you have to go. MSR has more rough pixels and I find it really hard to see things in the distance. The graphics in MSR have some really heavy aliasing effect. I assume it's in part because they're craming too much detail into a resolution not fit for it.

It's a pity VP doesn't at least offer different day times and weather conditions like many other racing games.