Vanishing Point

A section to post your reviews of Dreamcast games. See rules for details.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Rating System: Please include a rating on the scale from 1 to 10. Make sure to put the name of the game in the topic title (game name must be first in the title) Example: 'Toy Racer Review by yadayadagames'. Also include a poll with options 1-10 other users can rate the game (you can add our own subtitles for each ranking or leave it blank). Example: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewtop ... f=34&t=789

Poll: Vanishing Point: Racing Bliss or Driving P*ss?

1 I'd rather play Exhibition Of Speed
No votes
2 I'd rather play in the traffic
No votes
3 I'd rather be playing Sun Bingo
No votes
4 I'd rather play with myself
14%
5 Yu Suzuki has his pencil ready!
5%
6 So near yet so far
14%
7 It lacks the Sega touch
27%
8 Look mum, no hands
14%
9 WOTS MSR?!
14%
10 SCUD RACE? CRUD RACE! Vanishing Point IS the second coming!
14%
Total votes: 22

rjay63
Beats of Rage

Re: Vanishing Point Review

Post#21 » Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:43 am

Hello Tarnish, thanks for commenting on my review. Firstly well done on working out the handling so quickly. For me, the "auto-correct" steering was very confusing and the only way I could complete the first few races was to be very delicate with the the analogue stick. You just don't expect over-sensitive handling in a titled billed as a "conversion of an coin-op game that never existed". IMO Vanishing Point is a game that required a drift dynamic similar to those found in Sega and Namco racers not driving physics that make it difficult to hold a racing line. You can see this in the following time attack video I put on Youtube:

Point taken about Daytona USA 2001 although I had played the arcade version quite extensively so I didn't find it that much trouble. I use Madcatz controllers as I've never got on with the official ones.
My Metropolis Street Racer Blog: http://www.msrdreamcast.blogspot.com
MSR ghosts/time trials and official DLC: https://www.dreamcastlive.net/metropoli ... r-dlc.html

Neohound
Gold Lion

Post#22 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:17 pm

Hi rjay, I think the point about Daytona on DC is valid too but so many people seem to hate the handling of VP that there must be something in it ! In truth, I think you have to be pretty good in general at driving games to get the most fun out of it. Dodging the cars at high speed ? Yes, it's arcade alright, it's Crazy Taxi !!
I also only use my Madcatz controller, for driving games in particular, I'm not sure why ? Maybe the thumb stick feels slightly smoother ? Whatever, I use em too :)

rjay63
Beats of Rage

Post#23 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:59 pm

Hello there Neohound, nice to see you back! :D I've missed your comments on my reviews although I've only done one other in the last two years (Headhunter)!

Re Vanishing Point: IMO the bad handling only really applies at the start of the game but it was enough to put people off! A few minor changes and those same people would've kept playing. Not sure that would've changed this guys mind though! :lol:

The official Dreamcast pad is too "pointy" for my liking. I only really use it with the Shenmue games as they takes issue with my Madcatz.
My Metropolis Street Racer Blog: http://www.msrdreamcast.blogspot.com
MSR ghosts/time trials and official DLC: https://www.dreamcastlive.net/metropoli ... r-dlc.html

Neohound
Gold Lion

Post#24 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:01 pm

Haha that review kinda makes me feel like a masochist for daring to play it :shock:
Whatever, I still liked it :D

Tarnish
Prince of Persia

Post#25 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:07 am

Those kind of reviews is the reason I don't trust reviews anymore. He can't figure out the controls, so he says the game is bad, and people believe him and avoid the game without ever trying it.

No matter what the hell reviews say, if a game seems fun and interesting, I say give it a try at least. Reviews are just the reviewers personal opinions and thus actually means nothing to anyone else besides them.

blktgr74
dark night

Post#26 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:54 am

I have just bought this and think its one of the better drivers although the cpu cars are a pain.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

matt
fire

Post#27 » Mon May 04, 2015 10:43 am

Hi all.

I'm a big fan of this game. It's basically all I kept my Dreamcast for :lol:

I return to it every year or so to try to finish it. I've posted a new thread in the Support section to ask for help/guidance unlocking the final few things:
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=7207&p=79993

I also wrote my own review of it some years ago:
http://dreampast.tumblr.com/post/120085 ... hing-point

matt

matt
fire

Re: Vanishing Point

Post#28 » Mon May 18, 2015 7:03 am

A nice interview that goes into some detail about Vanishing Point:

http://www.grumpyoldgamers.co.uk/index. ... interview/

FinedrivE
dirty sailor

Post#29 » Mon May 18, 2015 8:23 am

I can't believe this game has a following. There are racing games on the NES with more precise control and better physics. 8-bit-hand-drawn racing games that are controlled with a d-pad and two buttons. I can get past a lot of the visual issues and the music is awful. What I can't accept is a physics engine that sometimes has me flipping forty feet in the air or stopping dead at it's whim.

On the first race I found myself hitting the same part of a wall over and over. That's a normal thing when I'm figuring out a racing game, what's not normal is what the car does when the wall collision happens. It's different every time. Not just a variation of the same action IE: cars hit wall = slow down, loose momentum, blah blah blah. The reality is far from this. It picks something different every time.

I hit it once straight on out of frustration and the car simply righted itself in the course and headed the correct direction. That's piss poor. I've got to be short on options to give games that much leeway when it comes to shit. There are plenty of other racing games on the DC. I looked to this game as a low cost alternative to SanFransisco Rush 2049. What I got was a product that I would sum up as "Just better than Roadsters".
Currently sucking at: The Legend Of Zelda: Skyward Sword, Road Rash II and Pirates! Gold

Searching for EGG, SFA3, and ANY GENESIS/CD/32X games.

matt
fire

Post#30 » Mon May 18, 2015 8:29 am

We like it. You don't. Both opinions are valid.

I'm not going to try to convince you that the game is one thing or another ;)