SoulCalibur

A section to post your reviews of Dreamcast games. See rules for details.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Rating System: Please include a rating on the scale from 1 to 10. Make sure to put the name of the game in the topic title (game name must be first in the title) Example: 'Toy Racer Review by yadayadagames'. Also include a poll with options 1-10 other users can rate the game (you can add our own subtitles for each ranking or leave it blank). Example: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewtop ... f=34&t=789

Poll: Does SOULCALIBUR have a high enough amount of caliber that it's legend will never die?

10: Hell yes!
59%
9 Totally
17%
8 probably
14%
7 maybe
3%
6 probably not
3%
5& under don't know what they are talking about haha
3%
Total votes: 29

Megas_XLR
minority

Re: Megas XLR REVIEWS SOULCALIBUR

Post#11 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:31 am

I know this is off topic but where us the new members introductions?

CD AGES
Shark Patrol

Post#12 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:24 am

I know this is off topic but where us the new members introductions?

don't think there is one. Why not just introduce yourself alongside your DC collection in the "members collection" section ;)
It's STILL Thinking Dreamcast Channel

The ReviveDC Project blog; reviews for our releases and news

Megas_XLR
minority

Post#13 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:09 pm

Someone said there was a new members section on the members game list

dark
Shark Patrol

Post#14 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:10 pm

Soul Calibur 1 was a really really really good game, esp for 1999. It had great graphics, responsive and great controls. The sidestepping was implemented very well, the characters were balanced fairly well, and there were plenty of characters, stages, and music. There was also lots of replay value with those mission quests.

If no other soul caliburs had ever come out, I might still consider it a perfect 10, but as it is, after I warmed up to the few differences in Soul Calibur 2, I would say Soul Calibur 2 had a number of good improvements that slightly lessen my appreciation of Soul Calibur 1 down from a 10, to maybe an 8 or 8.5. It's certainly one of the absolute top 3D fighters for the DC, alongside DOA 2.

Megas_XLR
minority

Post#15 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:04 pm

dark wrote:Soul Calibur 1 was a really really really good game, esp for 1999. It had great graphics, responsive and great controls. The sidestepping was implemented very well, the characters were balanced fairly well, and there were plenty of characters, stages, and music. There was also lots of replay value with those mission quests.

If no other soul caliburs had ever come out, I might still consider it a perfect 10, but as it is, after I warmed up to the few differences in Soul Calibur 2, I would say Soul Calibur 2 had a number of good improvements that slightly lessen my appreciation of Soul Calibur 1 down from a 10, to maybe an 8 or 8.5. It's certainly one of the absolute top 3D fighters for the DC, alongside DOA 2.

I actually like SC1 the best. I never really got into the rest of the series because it lost its balanced missions and characters as the series progressed.

beanboy
Wazza

Re: SoulCalibur

Post#16 » Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:40 pm

Yeah. Soul Calibur 1 is a really great game. And it's alot of fun too.

But I agree with alot of fans when they say, it's kinda sad the sequels eg. SoulCalibur 2 onward etc. took the series down hill, and never got the respect or high ratings, the first one did.
After I played SC2, I was so disappointed with SC2, and the new direction the series was going in, that I started to appreciate SC1 alot more. It was sad to see the SoulCalibur series, become a nerfed, tons of moves missing, cartoony guest character fest, evo friendly, watered down fighting game.

And as a few fans have said, "SC1 was a rare anomaly, that namco was never ever able to recreate."

Fun facts: SoulCalibur1 was also known, as the first fighting game from namco, (that and Soul Blade), that proved, that namco was capable, of actually making a good combatitive fighting game. That could also officially semi compete, with the ridiculously advanced combatitive fighting game, called Virtua Fighter.
In the fighting game world, that is quite a huge achievement from namco. Because Tekken and other 3d fighting games, still haven't even come close to Virtua Fighter, which is extremely embarrassing. And even Harada, who is the producer of Tekken, himself in a few interviews, have said that the entire fighting game industry, is still playing catch up, to Virtua Fighter.
And the fact that the soul calibur 1 dev team, came kinda close to doing that, with Soul Calibur 1, I myself personally commend them for that achievement.

Nice work Soul Calibur 1 and Soul Blade dev teams. :D
Last edited by beanboy on Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:11 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Roareye
Rank 9

Post#17 » Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:47 pm

The Japanese version included online Leaderboards as part of it's internet functionality!
I've already rebuilt the website itself, the Leaderboards aren't done yet and the redirect isn't working yet either. However with some time and effort we'd be able to challenge each other's scores officially using the original game.

beanboy
Wazza

Post#18 » Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:18 pm

Roareye wrote:The Japanese version included online Leaderboards as part of it's internet functionality!
I've already rebuilt the website itself, the Leaderboards aren't done yet and the redirect isn't working yet either. However with some time and effort we'd be able to challenge each other's scores officially using the original game.

That is really cool. Great work!
I know that doing these things, are really tough to do. So I appreciate it. :D

Sega RPG

Post#19 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:46 am

my favourite fighter is project justice, followed (if not on par) by guilty gear, but i voted 10 because i do feel soul calibur is simply the latest revolutionary game to do a very big step in every single aspect, you can have preferences of course but it's clear that soul calibur is simply a perfect game...

destis85
noob

Post#20 » Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:51 pm

my favorite game on the dreamcast.

Return to “Reviews”