WWF Attitude

A section to post your reviews of Dreamcast games. See rules for details.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Rating System: Please include a rating on the scale from 1 to 10. Make sure to put the name of the game in the topic title (game name must be first in the title) Example: 'Toy Racer Review by yadayadagames'. Also include a poll with options 1-10 other users can rate the game (you can add our own subtitles for each ranking or leave it blank). Example: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewtop ... f=34&t=789

Is it a mediocre game, or do I not "get it?"

1 Crap
33%
No votes
No votes
17%
5 Meh, it's ok, eh
33%
No votes
7 Good, but not great
17%
8 Great
No votes
9 Amazing
No votes
10 BEST GAME EVAH
No votes

Total votes: 6

lastcallgames
Vagabond

WWF Attitude

Post by lastcallgames »

Video Review:

WWF Attitude is a kinda boring bland 3D fighting game, that you play with wrestlers. This was Acclaim's last WWF game, before the group moved over the THQ/AKI/Yukes for later games (Royal Rumble was the only other one released on the Dreamcast). Acclaim would go on to make ECW (a hardcore wrestling promotion) games until the promotion went out of business.

So as I said in the beginning, this isn't so much a wrestling game as it is a fighting game. Moves require button combinations to pull off, and engaging multiple opponents (a necessity in some match types, like Royal Rumble and 2 on 1) is impossible, for either computer or player. If you ever watched wrestling, you would see that often in matches with more than two fighters, two or more would team up to do something to the other. That doesn't happen. In the Royal Rumble mode, where 30 fighters enter in a staggered order, the game can't handle more than 4 at once, and when there are 4, they basically pair off into two 1v1 matches until someone gets thrown off. And when someone does, the game freezes for a good second or so while it loads (loudly) another wrestler. I'd guess that's a memory issue, but it's still not good.

Also for some reason using the analog stick is much more difficult than the d-pad. I've used the stick for real fighting games, but this is almost impossible.

The graphics are alright for an enhanced PS1 game (which I'm pretty sure this is), the wrestlers look alright, more or less. The crowd was still done as sprites, or gifs, and not polygons, but that was extremely common for DC games (I remember NFL 2k had those too). The sound is acceptable, I guess. The commentary is good, featuring Jerry Lawler and Shane McMahon, who were ringside back then (and might be now, I'm not sure). For some reason the wrestlers seem to lack charisma, at least from what I hear, and in an industry all about charisma, that's not good.

Basically, this is a painfully average fighting game that has the WWF name all over it. In retrospect the wrestler selection is hit or miss (some still well known superstars like The Rock, Stone Cold Steve Austin, and the Undertaker are in, but so are now forgotten like Steve Blackman and "Too Sexy"), though it should be noted that this is the last (to date) video game to have Owen Hart (RIP) as a playable wrestler.

I gave this a 5 out of 10, it's mediocre. Not bad, like Roadsters, but it's not making any top 10 lists. Except maybe Top 10 Dreamcast Wrestling games, because there may only be 10.
BionicKoalaBoy
photon blast
Dreamcast Games you play Online: Don't have the set-up. ( yet... )

Re: WWF Attitude Review

Post by BionicKoalaBoy »

If you're a wrestling fan, you'll obviously get a let more from WWF ATTITUDE than not. It hasn't aged well, but minor problems aside, there are a lot of improvements over it's other verions ( PS1 and N64 ) and if you liked either of those, you'll be really chuffed with this version. Most of all it's the 2 player mode that makes this game, as beating up a mate beats 1 player anyday of week. A really common game too, and uber cheap to pick up. When it only costs pennies you've got nothing to lose... ;)
lastcallgames
Vagabond

Re: WWF Attitude Review

Post by lastcallgames »

That is true, I got it and 2 or 3 other games for $6, best deal of the VGS by far.