Marvel Vs Capcom 2

A section to post your reviews of Dreamcast games. See rules for details.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Rating System: Please include a rating on the scale from 1 to 10. Make sure to put the name of the game in the topic title (game name must be first in the title) Example: 'Toy Racer Review by yadayadagames'. Also include a poll with options 1-10 other users can rate the game (you can add our own subtitles for each ranking or leave it blank). Example: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewtop ... f=34&t=789

Poll: So how is it?

1 I'm a grouch who has no soul
No votes
2 Boo
No votes
3 I don't like fun
No votes
4 I hate comics
No votes
5 Eh
No votes
6 I guess I'll play
No votes
7 It's an adequate fighter
No votes
8 Pretty good
57%
9 It's good, but I don't like jazz
14%
10 Best game on the system
29%
Total votes: 7

lastcallgames
Vagabond

Marvel Vs Capcom 2

Post#1 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:17 pm

Video review:

Marvel vs Capcom 2 is the best game on the Sega Dreamcast. That I've played. Ok, it's probably not fair to compare it to something like Shenmue, which is in a completely different genre (and still a very good game), and I know some people call it the best. They're not wrong, but I prefer MvC2.

For those unaware of how the game works, each team has 3 characters of the person's choosing. You select any 3 of the available 56 characters (a lot of which need to be unlocked). About half are Marvel and about half are Capcom. You can pick any combination of characters you want. During battle, you can swap characters out (while the ones on the bench heal a certain amount of health), or call in your buddy for an assist. When you gather enough meter, you can execute a Hyper Combo, devastating screen filling (usually) attacks that take down a decent part of your opponent's life.

The controls are great. The four face buttons are Light and Heavy Kick and Punch, respectively. The triggers call in the assists, or pulling them both at once executes the Hyper Combo (if you have the meter). Movement can be done with the d-pad or analog stick, and both work well. I usually use the d-pad, but when I started I used the stick most of the time.

The most controversial part of the game is the music. Some people have even changed the music in hacks of the game (http://www.theisozone.com/downloads/dre ... rap-remix/ not joking). I personally like the music in it. It's kinda jazzy and upbeat, perfect for a game that doesn't take itself seriously. The backgrounds look great, especially with a VGA box (unfortunately I couldn't record with VGA, but trust me). The character sprites look alright, but I wouldn't be surprised if they were from games on the Saturn or PS1. That said, they animate pretty well.

Did I mention all the characters? There's over 50. What about the unlockables? There's a bunch of costumes, stages, and many of the characters are unlocked with points. That's a difference between this and later releases of the game, on the 360 version, all of the characters and costumes are already there.

This is the perfect Dreamcast fighting game. If you like fighting games, comic books, or great games, pick this up. 10/10

BionicKoalaBoy
photon blast

Re: Marvel Vs Capcom 2 Review

Post#2 » Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:21 am

Yeah great game. One I play probably most with my son. We are still trying to unlock the many charcaters available. Given the huge MARVEL revival in action movies at the moment, he ( and I ) are loving all the comic book characters. And thanks to the LEGO marvel games, he even recognises the more obscure characters. I must admit I have a music remixed version ( house/dance ) as well as the original. Good review, but 10/10? Only if you're a fan of the genre, as it can be quite manic and confusing for a novice.
Last edited by BionicKoalaBoy on Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

mxlvxnn
Anarki

Post#3 » Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:04 pm

I'm not a hardcore player but I definitely enjoy playing when I can. Its a tough game to get into especially since the mechanics seem too fast paced for me as I find myself running out of time a lot. Overall I enjoy this game despite the fact that I'm not really that good at it. Awesome review, I'll check out your youtube channel as well.

lastcallgames
Vagabond

Post#4 » Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:46 pm

mxlvxnn wrote:I'm not a hardcore player but I definitely enjoy playing when I can. Its a tough game to get into especially since the mechanics seem too fast paced for me as I find myself running out of time a lot. Overall I enjoy this game despite the fact that I'm not really that good at it. Awesome review, I'll check out your youtube channel as well.

To be honest, with most any fighting game, I will set the time limit to infinite (as you can see in the vid). I've never liked time overs.

FinedrivE
dirty sailor

Re: Marvel Vs Capcom 2

Post#5 » Thu May 14, 2015 11:51 pm

I chose 9 but I do like the Jazz. My only problem with this game is my same problem with MvC3; the four button lay out. Had this had the six button standard Capcom lay out I think it would have been even better. Most folks disregard my opinion though because of my love for Marvel Superheroes VS Street Fighter. Thanks for the review!
Currently sucking at: The Legend Of Zelda: Skyward Sword, Road Rash II and Pirates! Gold

Searching for EGG, SFA3, and ANY GENESIS/CD/32X games.

beanboy
Wazza

Re: Marvel Vs Capcom 2

Post#6 » Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:26 am

I'll have to agree with Maximillian Dood and others, to an extent on this.
I love mvc2 and I think it's a great game. But I'll put mvc 1 above mvc 2.

Another thing that was kinda lame, is that alot of moves, abilities and super moves, that were in the previous cross over games, have been removed and are absent in mvc 2.
Eg. Rogues ability to steal/copy people's moves, by kissing them, Cyclop's standing optic blast and many other moves etc.

And the missing MP and MK, is another thing too.

In my case, I'll put Xmen vs, Street Fighter, Marvel Superheroes vs, Street Fighter and mvc 1 Clash of Superheroes above it. Moreso Xmen vs. Street Fighter. But mvc 2 is still a super fun game though. But I think that Capcom should have gone all out, and put every move and ability, from the previous cross over games, into mvc2.

In the poll, I chose number 8. :)