Dreamcast to HDTV

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

OldskoolRules
shadow

Dreamcast to HDTV

Post#1 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:12 pm

Hello. Brand new member here. Was surprised to find an active Dreamcast forum. Awesome. Anyhow I'll get to it. I have an HDTV with slots for HDMI, components(orange,blue,green) and the red, yellow white inputs. There's also a slot for S Video. I have a Dreamcast. I have no cables but intend to buy them once I find out what my best options are. That's where you guys come in, I'm hoping. I'm not terribly limited. Maybe can spend 125$ although I hope its not that much. I noticed they sell cables on eBay that claim to hookup the d.c. to my TV for around 22$ but I'm skeptical. Please help.

The-Amazing-Mr_V
Metallic

Re: Dreamcast to HDTV

Post#2 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:41 am

S video would be the easiest and be better the av.

Vga is great with a vga to hdmi converter. I got lucky my tv will display the dreamcast native 480 resolution on hdmi. I think some tv's don't display that low on hdmi.

For ease and price I would stick with s video for now at least. You can always upgrade later.

OldskoolRules
shadow

Post#3 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:33 am

So do I simply buy an s video cable and power AC cord and I'm good to go right?

Xiden
Developer

Post#4 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:58 am

OldskoolRules wrote:So do I simply buy an s video cable and power AC cord and I'm good to go right?

I highly recommend this

https://www.beharbros.com/akura

its a hdmi box for dreamcast + features scanline generator (can be turned off)

its 85 dollars but totally worth it for the best picture

mrneo240
Rank 9

Post#5 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:35 am

Simple power cord, you probably own 5 already that would work haha.

For video I went this route:

Retro-bit Dreamcast VGA cable: $20 (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BF74KOS/)
HDE VGA2HDMI converter: $11 (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009L4X3ZA/)

It looks fantastic on a Samsung 55" over HDMI. 3d games look better than ever and 2d games like E.G.G Pop right off the screen.

Anonymouse
Outtrigger

Post#6 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:58 am

You should try MrNeo240 option and spend the rest of you budget on a DreamPi setup to play the Dreamcast online.
Dreamcast: Blue Swirl, 60hz, White LED, Removable battery holder, Internal SD card reader, BBA, DreamPi, RGB Scart

mrneo240
Rank 9

Post#7 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:56 am

Anonymouse wrote:You should try MrNeo240 option and spend the rest of you budget on a DreamPi setup to play the Dreamcast online.

That's what I did, haha. Although I haven't been able to find some time to play with everyone lately.

Between getting frustrated with getting online in a couple games and way too many projects I've just been busy with other things.

Btw. I hate being cliche and announcing things but we have started another fun new project: some sort of 3d game. Nothing yet, still working on design and such. Details by June I imagine.

In other HDTV news, my TV allows for stretching+moving the image on any input. So the small column squished on the right is now gone from me! It's been a treat playing through Dragonriders lol

OldskoolRules
shadow

Post#8 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:22 pm

Might try neos option. I was tempted to get an expensive box but I noticed Dreamcast games are not cheap. The 3 I want...grandia 2, skies of Arcadia and RE 2 are going to cost like $130! Thanks everyone.

mrneo240
Rank 9

Post#9 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:31 am

Results from my set up, not the best but definitely passable for me!

http://www.twitch.tv/newchiefgames/v/22 ... r=a&t=689s

OldskoolRules
shadow

Post#10 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:58 pm

OK I've got it all ordered including my games except SOA. I'll report back on the results. Maybe I'll take xidens advice if I find I want that better picture. Im an old school gamer so I don't put a high value on visuals if the game is still great fun. That's why Zelda majoras mask is still ranked 1st all time on my list. Thanks everyone. You were much more help than google was. :shock: