Hardware Issues

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Lamaman1971
shadow

Hardware Issues

Post#1 » Sun Jun 13, 2021 11:00 am

Hi Folks,

I need some advice. I picked up a DC console but its got a fault I cant diagnose. Symptom wise when it boots the logo screen sound stutters and it fails to recognise my GDEMU.

Its not happy.

Ive tried changing out all of the usual components with working ones - PSU, controller board, cable and so on - but Im starting to think its a faulty motherboard - could it be the cooling? (unlikely as the symptoms manifest on boot when its coolest...)

Anyone seen this before and have any thoughts? or is it terminal?

Thanks in advance,

Mark

bshi02
dark night

Re: Hardware Issues

Post#2 » Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:01 pm

Don't you have spare GD-ROM drive and Is it same symptom when you plugin GD-ROM drive instead of GDEMU?

retro
lithium

Post#3 » Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:18 pm

Unlikely to be the GDEMU, as the Dreamcast will not output a signal if it cannot detect anything on the disc drive connector.
It might be damage to one of the pins on the AV chip, or even a broken trace somewhere on the motherboard

Lamaman1971
shadow

Post#4 » Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:54 am

Yeah - it’s not the gdemu. Tried the old drive and same result. I think the motherboard has issues.

megavolt85
Developer

Post#5 » Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:29 pm

Lamaman1971 wrote:Symptom wise when it boots the logo screen sound stutters and it fails to recognise my GDEMU.

you need to solder the CN503 connector

Lamaman1971
shadow

Post#6 » Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:56 am

The CN503 is the interface connector for the dc motherboard yeah?

megavolt85
Developer

Post#7 » Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:55 pm

this is the connector where the GDROM is inserted

Lamaman1971
shadow

Post#8 » Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:03 am

Well, nothing visually wrong with it - not that that means anything much of course.