What is the largest memory card that will work with Dreamcast TF SD Micro card reader?

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

SegaDreamcast
shadow

What is the largest memory card that will work with Dreamcast TF SD Micro card reader?

Post#1 » Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:36 pm

Is it 128gb or can it read 256gb? Does the brand matter for quality or speed wise or since the Dreamcast reads/writes slow it probably doesn't matter if I went with a slower read/write to save money? On Walmarts website a seller list that 128gb is the max support. This is just someone selling on Walmarts website so the description might not be accurate. 256gb might work. Does anyone know the answer to my multiple questions? What the max file size is and if brand of the memory card matters for write and read.

Slaminger
lithium

Re: What is the largest memory card that will work with Dreamcast TF SD Micro card reader?

Post#2 » Tue Apr 12, 2022 8:03 pm

i don't have 256gb to test but 128 works, sandisk.

deluxux
Black Mesa

Re: What is the largest memory card that will work with Dreamcast TF SD Micro card reader?

Post#3 » Tue Apr 12, 2022 9:00 pm

Are you talking about serial SD or gdemu?
I think gdemu is 2TB I don't know about serial sd

Dreamcazman
fire

Post#4 » Fri Apr 15, 2022 8:40 am

deluxux wrote:I think gdemu is 2TB I don't know about serial sd

Not sure why anyone would need a 2TB card when the whole DC (US) collection would fit on a 512GB card, with room to spare.

Motoracer5
blackout!

Post#5 » Fri Apr 15, 2022 1:17 pm

Dreamcazman wrote:

Not sure why anyone would need a 2TB card when the whole DC (US) collection would fit on a 512GB card, with room to spare.

Japanese, PAL, homebrew, modded games, ports, emulation. It adds up if you want everything available on a card

Spec
lithium

Post#6 » Sat Apr 16, 2022 12:46 am

I'm using a 512GB MicroSD/TF (with SD Adapter) by Kingston on the official GDEMU. So far the card is half full/half empty. Around 260GB is used. GDEMU load and scroll speed is normal, even on boot.

Bought mine at a local computer store. But this here found on Amazon is almost exactly the same as the one I have. The only difference is that there is a '0' imprinted on mine instead of where there is an 'X' shown on Amazon's. Besides that, it's exactly the same. Although, I'm not not sure if that slight 'X' & '0' difference would mean anything or if it'll be any different in compatibility.

Link:

show spoiler»

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#7 » Sat Apr 16, 2022 9:10 am

Dreamcazman wrote:

Because a lot of us care just as much about homebrew..

deluxux
Black Mesa

Post#8 » Sat Apr 16, 2022 12:33 pm

It's unfortunate the Dreamcast can't have ∞

dubcity
Super Sonic

Post#9 » Sat Apr 16, 2022 2:59 pm

Microcenter 512GB SD card in my gdemu clone. With the collection we made you can fit way more on a card. One day when I am done adding Neo Geo CD and Dreambor ports I think we will be close to filling up a 512GB card.

I also have Samsung 64GB card I use for tests.