Sega Dreamcast Performance VMU found...

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

killer-elite
blackout!

Sega Dreamcast Performance VMU found...

Post#1 » Sat Jun 10, 2023 4:12 am

"I was FINALLY able to get my hands on this extraordinarily rare 3rd-party #Dreamcast VMU. Virtually no information is out there on it. Planning to dissect and do a detailed analysis on it with pictures… in the name of science. #RetroComputing "

https://twitter.com/falco_girgis/status/1666933704071999489?t=hw75GCTNTKeuQYj4nYWjow&s=19&fbclid=IwAR2MxhE_y8FbpzzYpXmAnEDcgMlq18q9wfiKPmFwzOFZoFfpdFmVmmugcUo

Here is a old post on the same brand VMU from 2014 https://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6377
Attachments
FyIjXnUWIAA7h7B (1).jpg

Falco Girgis
Developer

Re: Sega Dreamcast Performance VMU found...

Post#2 » Tue Jun 13, 2023 2:56 pm

YEP!!!!

The forum post here is one of only TWO different resources I could ever find on this thing! As soon as I saw it, I bought it immediately.

I just took pictures of everything it can do in standalone mode, the custom BIOS, noted everything interesting about it (it only uses 1 CR2032 and apparently its date can only go to 2009 max for some reason)... about to do the same for it connected to DC and see how long the power lasts.

BUT GUESS WHAT. I was screwing around with the battery, and somehow--I don't really understand what's happening--when it's only loosely connected, I seem to get an extra option on the main file manager menu for swapping the active block on the thing! It's only advertised to have the standard 200 blocks, and you can see proof on the flash IC, but somehow I think I'm accessing some sort of debug mode where they were playing with supporting banked cards using the same BIOS?

Not sure. Planning to do a bigger write-up once I finish gathering data!

Axel85
lithium

Post#3 » Tue Jun 13, 2023 6:25 pm

Very interested in the dissection ... I'm looking for one too since forever . Please do a full review of the software and test a game vs vmu . Very interesting also the thing about the memory bank , would be cool if it could store more than a game ( planning to buy a vm2 for this feature)

Lew3030
rebel

Post#4 » Wed Jun 14, 2023 1:32 pm

This is the hemp of all vmus man.