Making Backups of Backups

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

shanecooler
shadow

Making Backups of Backups

Post#1 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:02 pm

Hello everyone.

I hate to introduce myself to the forum with such a dumb problem, but I'm going crazy over this...

I've got dozens of backups from images I downloaded, and never had a problem. But I've had a bunch of trouble copying the backups.

My question is simple: is the method for burning backups the same as it is from a .cdi?

I'm using Discjuggler 6 at Mode 1, Block 2336 to no avail.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

shanecooler
shadow

Re: Making Backups of Backups

Post#2 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:30 am

Just to further clarify, I have been having some sucess with the above method.

However, games like Shenmue, Tony Hawk and a bunch of others are not working via this method.

Should I truncate? Overburn? Maybe use a different program?

Any suggestions would be amazing, guys.

mazonemayu
Agent Provocateur

Post#3 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:45 am

why would you want to do that in this era of fast internet, where everything can be downloaded again in 5 minutes? are you paranoid or something? ;) ;)
We are SEGA generation.

Subscribe:

https://youtube.com/user/mazonemayu <———gameplay vids be here

Visit:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/150479343@N06/albums <—-collection piccies here

Aleron Ives
Outrun

Post#4 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:39 am

shanecooler wrote:My question is simple: is the method for burning backups the same as it is from a .cdi?

What is a "backup"? CDI is Padus DiscJuggler format, but if you're not trying to burn a CDI, then you don't really need DiscJuggler.
"Fear the HUnewearl."

shanecooler
shadow

Post#5 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:10 am

I mean "backup" as a successfully burned DC Disc.

So if not Discjuggler, what program should I use?

I'm having moderate sucess creating the cdi from the backup disc by enabling "raw read", then burning it Mode 1; Block 2352; TOC CD-XA With Raw, Overburn and "Add post gap..." enabled....

But like I said, this only works about half the time.
Last edited by shanecooler on Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

shanecooler
shadow

Post#6 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:28 am

mazonemayu wrote:why would you want to do that in this era of fast internet, where everything can be downloaded again in 5 minutes? are you paranoid or something? ;) ;)

I figured it would be easier since I already have all the games I want copied, rather than having to find them online all over again.

The-Amazing-Mr_V
Metallic

Post#7 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:21 am

Isozone has tonsome of stuff.

I have used alcohol 120% to burn games with success.

Gary_b
Quantic Dream

Post#8 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:34 am

I would use IMGburn to back up a disc. the problem is if you have old backups you should look into the newer ones out. There are people who have improved the images and added better dummy files, enabled VGA in some etc.

Aleron Ives
Outrun

Post#9 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:18 pm

Don't use individual discs for backups at all. Burn multiple CDIs as files to a single DVD-R or BD-R. ;)
"Fear the HUnewearl."

Gary_b
Quantic Dream

Post#10 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:10 pm

Aleron Ives wrote:Don't use individual discs for backups at all. Burn multiple CDIs as files to a single DVD-R or BD-R. ;)
I have done this but for storing them as well. The only problem is that some of the files were echelons and such so they are not very good. Also you wont be able to play them on a Dreamcast. I have a bunch of blank media, but I think that storing them on an external HDD is a good idea. Hard drives are pretty cheap these days and you can store a bunch of roms on a 500 to 1TB drive.