Dreamcast doesn't power on with GD-Rom Drive

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

SegaShazam
shadow

Dreamcast doesn't power on with GD-Rom Drive

Post#1 » Wed May 17, 2017 12:42 pm

Hello Dreamcast talk,

I picked up Grandia 2 the other day and pop the disc in and booted up my Dreamcast and got to the title screen and then couple seconds later kaput the Dreamcast shut down. I went into diagnosis mode and started checking the voltages at the power supply.

I found out that when the GD-Rom was not install on the scsi port that the Dreamcast would power on, with the led light indicator glowing and dreamcast logo but not the usual bootup screen with sound and bios menu, just the logo, But when GD-Rom drive was on the scsi port it was as if the cooler fan was disconnect with no power going to the Dreamcast.

Has anyone experienced this with their Dreamcast before?

Bring
dark night

Re: Dreamcast doesn't power on with GD-Rom Drive

Post#2 » Wed May 17, 2017 12:45 pm

When you install the gd-rom are you screwing it down?

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk

SegaShazam
shadow

Post#3 » Wed May 17, 2017 1:12 pm

No, I have the dreamcast striped down to controller port board and motherboard with metal plate/heatsink and RF shield off. with cardboard underneath power supply preventing from touching anything of the other components. Does the GD-Rom need to be grounded to metal, screws to GD-Rom body to metal plate?

Bring
dark night

Post#4 » Wed May 17, 2017 2:12 pm

Not sure if gd rom needs to be grounded. I just feared you had used screws that were to long and had damaged your MB.

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk