[USB GDROM] Troubleshooting & Firmware updates

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum
User avatar
RetrogamerX
noob
Posts: 3

Re: [USB GDROM] Troubleshooting & Firmware updates

Post#21 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:34 am

My USB GDrom came this morning. It works amazingly well. Only took 10 days for me to receive it. I love it

Thanks MNEMO

User avatar
FlorreW
lithium
Posts: 46

Re: [USB GDROM] Troubleshooting & Firmware updates

Post#22 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:08 am

I got the Usb-Gd rom 1 month ago and have some problems :?

Fist of all , sometimes the dreamcast suddenly shuts down (not resetting) the screen goes black but the power indicator on the dreamcast is still on. Extremly irritating when i you havent saved a game for a while and that happens. Ps , i do have a Dream Psu installed if that might cause the problem ?

Second , i thought that it would be compatible with 99% of all .cdi images ? well, in my case there is a 50/50 chance (when it does not start the dreamcast reboots and stops at the standard bios), and yes the cdi should work becouse if burned on a cd it can be played in my other dreamcast.

Thankful for all help i can get , and yes i have formatted the usb stick fat32 / 64k clusters (on some smaller usb sticks 4gb i cant someone know why ? , im using the recommended software)

Very thankful if someone can enlighten me :roll:

User avatar
Aleron Ives
Rank 9
Posts: 948
Contact:

Re: [USB GDROM] Troubleshooting & Firmware updates

Post#23 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:35 am

I recall a time when USB GD-ROM did not support CDI at all, so I guess it's made some improvements in that area. Even GDEMU does not support 100% of all images that work when burned to a CD-R, but the images it does boot seem fully functional.
"Fear the HUnewearl."
Image

User avatar
Xiden
Outrun
Posts: 1169

Re: [USB GDROM] Troubleshooting & Firmware updates

Post#24 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:14 am

FlorreW wrote:I got the Usb-Gd rom 1 month ago and have some problems :?

Fist of all , sometimes the dreamcast suddenly shuts down (not resetting) the screen goes black but the power indicator on the dreamcast is still on. Extremly irritating when i you havent saved a game for a while and that happens. Ps , i do have a Dream Psu installed if that might cause the problem ?

Second , i thought that it would be compatible with 99% of all .cdi images ? well, in my case there is a 50/50 chance (when it does not start the dreamcast reboots and stops at the standard bios), and yes the cdi should work becouse if burned on a cd it can be played in my other dreamcast.

Thankful for all help i can get , and yes i have formatted the usb stick fat32 / 64k clusters (on some smaller usb sticks 4gb i cant someone know why ? , im using the recommended software)

Very thankful if someone can enlighten me :roll:


1. What firmware are you on? I've never personally seen the screen going black before. I'd uninstall the device and reinstall it for starters. Make sure the device is seated properly and secure. My other guess is an issue with your reset switch. Did you install it yourself or did Mnemo? Could be a bad solider connection or a faulty reset switch.

2. Which CDI's are you having issues with? If its homebrew you maybe out of luck unfortunately. Most CDI's for me work fine but its far better to just play the GDI's instead as they are a 1:1 copy of the actual game. I can get you a link to all the Dreamcast GDI's if you need them.

3. Not sure on the USB stick, I haven't tried one that small yet myself. Thats something you may need to email Mnemo about. If you keep getting black screen issues too, he can repair/swap it out for you as well.

User avatar
FlorreW
lithium
Posts: 46

Re: [USB GDROM] Troubleshooting & Firmware updates

Post#25 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:18 pm

Xiden wrote:
1. What firmware are you on? I've never personally seen the screen going black before. I'd uninstall the device and reinstall it for starters. Make sure the device is seated properly and secure. My other guess is an issue with your reset switch. Did you install it yourself or did Mnemo? Could be a bad solider connection or a faulty reset switch.

2. Which CDI's are you having issues with? If its homebrew you maybe out of luck unfortunately. Most CDI's for me work fine but its far better to just play the GDI's instead as they are a 1:1 copy of the actual game. I can get you a link to all the Dreamcast GDI's if you need them.

3. Not sure on the USB stick, I haven't tried one that small yet myself. Thats something you may need to email Mnemo about. If you keep getting black screen issues too, he can repair/swap it out for you as well.


Firstly thanks for the answers.

1. Im on firmware 17/03/18 (just noticed the latest is from 17/09/05, can someone confirm that the latest firmware is good or that the older one im using actually is bad?) I have a resetswitch and it has been installed by Mnemo. If i should try with the newer firmware i shall do that , and after that if nothing changes i will uninstall and reinstall the device.

2. Not homebrew , its Soul Calibur , Rez , Sportsjam , Cosmic Smash. So its from all different regions as well. I would love a link to "known working gdis for the usb-gd".

3. This is the last thing , i really dont want to send it back if i dont have to :D

Again thanks for answering :P

User avatar
Xiden
Outrun
Posts: 1169

Re: [USB GDROM] Troubleshooting & Firmware updates

Post#26 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:29 pm

FlorreW wrote:
Xiden wrote:
1. What firmware are you on? I've never personally seen the screen going black before. I'd uninstall the device and reinstall it for starters. Make sure the device is seated properly and secure. My other guess is an issue with your reset switch. Did you install it yourself or did Mnemo? Could be a bad solider connection or a faulty reset switch.

2. Which CDI's are you having issues with? If its homebrew you maybe out of luck unfortunately. Most CDI's for me work fine but its far better to just play the GDI's instead as they are a 1:1 copy of the actual game. I can get you a link to all the Dreamcast GDI's if you need them.

3. Not sure on the USB stick, I haven't tried one that small yet myself. Thats something you may need to email Mnemo about. If you keep getting black screen issues too, he can repair/swap it out for you as well.


Firstly thanks for the answers.

1. Im on firmware 17/03/18 (just noticed the latest is from 17/09/05, can someone confirm that the latest firmware is good or that the older one im using actually is bad?) I have a resetswitch and it has been installed by Mnemo. If i should try with the newer firmware i shall do that , and after that if nothing changes i will uninstall and reinstall the device.

2. Not homebrew , its Soul Calibur , Rez , Sportsjam , Cosmic Smash. So its from all different regions as well. I would love a link to "known working gdis for the usb-gd".

3. This is the last thing , i really dont want to send it back if i dont have to :D

Again thanks for answering :P


1. Yep latest is 17/09/05 You should absolutely switch the latest as the older ones did have booting issues on some games.

2. https://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10412 This is the entire Dreamcast Library :) Download the GDI's and replace all your CDI's!! :) All the GDI's on in my link I've tested and work with USB-GDrom flawlessly btw

Good luck! Let me know if this fixes your issues :)

User avatar
FlorreW
lithium
Posts: 46

Re: [USB GDROM] Troubleshooting & Firmware updates

Post#27 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:33 pm

Thanks , i will report back when tested !

User avatar
RXShorty
Anarki
Posts: 89

Re: [USB GDROM] Troubleshooting & Firmware updates

Post#28 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:49 pm

Yup use GDI's instead of CDI :)

Verstuurd vanaf mijn BBB100-2 met Tapatalk
DreamOn!

User avatar
RetrogamerX
noob
Posts: 3

Re: [USB GDROM] Troubleshooting & Firmware updates

Post#29 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:22 am

FlorreW wrote:
Firstly thanks for the answers.

1. Im on firmware 17/03/18 (just noticed the latest is from 17/09/05, can someone confirm that the latest firmware is good or that the older one im using actually is bad?) I have a resetswitch and it has been installed by Mnemo. If i should try with the newer firmware i shall do that , and after that if nothing changes i will uninstall and reinstall the device.

2. Not homebrew , its Soul Calibur , Rez , Sportsjam , Cosmic Smash. So its from all different regions as well. I would love a link to "known working gdis for the usb-gd".

3. This is the last thing , i really dont want to send it back if i dont have to :D

Again thanks for answering :P


I'm on that firmware as well and it's been flawless. I have tested loads of GDI's and CDI's and everyone has worked perfect for me. No issues at all. Did you disable the 12v rail? I replaced my whole PSU to DreamPSU. My Dreamcast is cold even after running 3 hours straight.

How's is going now after resetting?

User avatar
FlorreW
lithium
Posts: 46

Re: [USB GDROM] Troubleshooting & Firmware updates

Post#30 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:09 pm

RetrogamerX wrote:
I'm on that firmware as well and it's been flawless. I have tested loads of GDI's and CDI's and everyone has worked perfect for me. No issues at all. Did you disable the 12v rail? I replaced my whole PSU to DreamPSU. My Dreamcast is cold even after running 3 hours straight.

How's is going now after resetting?


Hi there RetrogamerX ! With the new firmware it is working as intended , perfect so far. Have to try it out for a longer period of time to see if the "resetting" is still there but i havent got time to try it out yet.

Disable the 12v rail , i guess you mean on the Dreampsu (the original dont have 12v right =p) . No i havent , should i and if so , why ?

Best regards Florian :P

  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Support”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users