[USB GDROM] Troubleshooting & Firmware updates

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

streeker
fragger

Re: [USB GDROM] Troubleshooting & Firmware updates

Post#301 » Fri Apr 08, 2022 6:37 pm

I found the solution for "Dave Mirra Freestyle BMX" - but its kinda strange......
Thanks @syntax_x for pointing me in the right direction :)

For some reason this game doesn't work with MODE2/2352 bins, only with MODE1/2048 isos!!
The easiest way to get it running on USB-GDROM is to:
1.) get the TOSEC gdi (NTSC or PAL, doesn't matter)
2.) convert all the bins to isos with the help of bin2iso.exe
3.) delete the old bins
and you're done. You don't even have to edit the gdi file (i.e. replace 2352 values with 2048 ones). It just works like that.

SparkThaMetal
lithium

Post#302 » Thu May 26, 2022 12:45 am

Xiden wrote:
Strider wrote:Hi there, I've just bought a second hand USB GD-ROM and it was working great. I then decided to add a 128BG card and it's now asking for a delivery address. I've used the code supplied but nothing it working. I'm not too sure what to do now.

Sounds like something new mnemo implemented. I'm unfamiliar with this.. Please send him an email at dr.mnemo@gmail.com

If you can let us know the solution he provides. Thanks!

What could he possibly achieve by doing that? Seems whatever he is trying to stop is just going to cause issues for the users in the future.

Xiden
Developer

Post#303 » Thu May 26, 2022 11:12 am

SparkThaMetal wrote:
Xiden wrote:
Strider wrote:Hi there, I've just bought a second hand USB GD-ROM and it was working great. I then decided to add a 128BG card and it's now asking for a delivery address. I've used the code supplied but nothing it working. I'm not too sure what to do now.

Sounds like something new mnemo implemented. I'm unfamiliar with this.. Please send him an email at dr.mnemo@gmail.com

What could he possibly achieve by doing that? Seems whatever he is trying to stop is just going to cause issues for the users in the future.

He's afraid someone will make a Chinese clone of his product. At one point he even put a timebomb on his older firmware but thankfully he removed it.

SparkThaMetal
lithium

Post#304 » Thu May 26, 2022 7:49 pm

Xiden wrote:
SparkThaMetal wrote:
Xiden wrote:

He's afraid someone will make a Chinese clone of his product. At one point he even put a timebomb on his older firmware but thankfully he removed it.

ah its that guy. lol does he really think that address thing would stop them getting their hands on it? Chinese are all over the world, they could quite easily order it, relatives or friends of relatives or whatever and he would be clueless it was going to them. So all he is doing is screwing anyone that buys it and wants to sell it later.
Either give up your address or the buyer has to deal with mnemo whatever he called lol? and the internet is full of people saying how rude he is. Then if they want to sell it, same process all over again. And what happens when he gives up all this or something happns to him? No one can ever sell on their usbgdroms without giving up the adress of whoever it was last registered to? What a joke.

What i dont get is why these people dont license their designs. Krikkz even agreed to make them under license but mnemo refused. He could of made sooo much more than he has done had he taken that option, simply because of the huge numbers they would of shifted. Could of just sat back and watched the money roll in for no work (bar the og design obviously).

nakio
noob

Post#305 » Mon Jun 06, 2022 6:26 am

hey

i have an ( external usb ) usbgdrom ode from mnemo i think its was the latest version ( v5 ? ) before he made/sold the internal usb ones when it was new , idk with what fw it came because mine wouldn't work properly so i updated it holding my ode / pcb down ... the reason was he forgot to solder one side of the connector to the dreamcast anyway i fixed it and have updated the ode back then .. before my solder job..
im on a very ancient fw version "15-06-18" from 2015 .. lol

my question is does anyone have the update in-between that i need "17-11-08" ? because i read that so many people have problems updating from an old version to the latest so i want to avoid all those problems and want to update my ode year by year ( version by version ) as suggested by so many but there is one update missing in the google drive which seems i need to update it properly ( i don't want to contact mnemo because everyone knows how he is with his responses .. )
some one mentioned it is an update between 2017 - 2018 i think it is "17-11-08" this one ? but i cant find it anywhere , does anyone have this update ? so i can finally update my usbgdrom to the latest version ?

thank you very much

streeker
fragger

Post#306 » Mon Jun 06, 2022 12:03 pm

I could help you out with fw_17-05-30 and fw_17-09-05, if any of these might be what you're looking for?
Personally I'm still on 17-05-30, because I never had any issues with that, it's running stable (and I like the blue backdrop better than the current black one).

Edit: okay, I see that both are featured in the the Google Drive link mentioned in the first post of this thread. Oh well, nevermind ;)

nonosto
undertow

Post#307 » Mon Feb 13, 2023 3:55 am

Hello world, my DC does some of random freeze or reboot, my DC set:

- USBGDROM with standard 1TB WD HDD
- pico psu made by Coastek from ebay
- DC Hdmi
- noctua fan mod

Some of game freeze at boot like Marvel vs capcom 2.

Someone can help me please?
THX

Xiden
Developer

Post#308 » Mon Feb 13, 2023 4:28 pm

nonosto wrote:Hello world, my DC does some of random freeze or reboot, my DC set:

- USBGDROM with standard 1TB WD HDD
- pico psu made by Coastek from ebay
- DC Hdmi
- noctua fan mod

Some of game freeze at boot like Marvel vs capcom 2.

Someone can help me please?
THX

This typically means the drive you're using isnt formatted correctly. It must be fat32, 64k clistersize. I also recommend using gdi format when possible.

nonosto
undertow

Post#309 » Thu Feb 16, 2023 12:52 pm

Xiden wrote:This typically means the drive you're using isnt formatted correctly. It must be fat32, 64k clistersize. I also recommend using gdi format when possible.

Thanks, sometime I have this error with Ikaruga:

I will try to change HDD and format it with 64k clustersize.

trekts
dark night

Post#310 » Fri May 05, 2023 11:39 pm

streeker wrote:I found the solution for "Dave Mirra Freestyle BMX" - but its kinda strange......
Thanks @syntax_x for pointing me in the right direction :)

For some reason this game doesn't work with MODE2/2352 bins, only with MODE1/2048 isos!!
The easiest way to get it running on USB-GDROM is to:
1.) get the TOSEC gdi (NTSC or PAL, doesn't matter)
2.) convert all the bins to isos with the help of bin2iso.exe
3.) delete the old bins
and you're done. You don't even have to edit the gdi file (i.e. replace 2352 values with 2048 ones). It just works like that.

This actually worked. Dave Mirra runs flawless now. I tried this same method w/ NBA Hoopz and that's running almost perfect, aside from the announcers sounding off. Don't know if that's a USB GD-ROM thing or if that's just how the game is (though, i do recall MK Gold having crazy sound issues on the original disc). Super delayed reply, but yeah; i can confirm this method absolutely works. Takes no time to do this as well.

Thanks all, i really appreciate it.