[USB GDROM] Troubleshooting & Firmware updates

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

guerra
noob

Re: [USB GDROM] Troubleshooting & Firmware updates

Post#11 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:51 am

Thank you RXShorty and Xiden!
That tips solve me half of problems =D
So, I used the MiniAide Fat32 Formatter program to format my USB pen, and I also notice that the GDI Folder structure was wrong.
I needed to put like: "disc.gdi", "track01.bin", "track02.bin", "track..... etc.".
Now is working good!
One more time thank you for the help =D

RXShorty
photon blast

Post#12 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:35 pm

No problem!
Great to hear you resolved your issues.
Enjoy your USB GD-Rom.
DreamOn!

streeker
fragger

Post#13 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:29 pm

So, any news/info on the "When use Button as Lid switch..." feature, that seems to have been added with one of the more recent firmware updates? Does anyone know how this actually works?

I'm a little concerned to try the new firmware, as one time my unit refused to work at all after one of these updates. "Never change a running system" they say, right?! ;)

Xiden
Developer

Post#14 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:46 pm

streeker wrote:So, any news/info on the "When use Button as Lid switch..." feature, that seems to have been added with one of the more recent firmware updates? Does anyone know how this actually works?

I'm a little concerned to try the new firmware, as one time my unit refused to work at all after one of these updates. "Never change a running system" they say, right?! ;)

I use the existing built in DC switch as my lid switch. Never tried a button. I have latest firmware (I beta tested). Everything works fine from my tests. Did D2 Disc Swap, Ran Windows CE Games fine, CDI games fine, Disc Swaped Gameshark games fine.

streeker
fragger

Post#15 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:14 pm

Okay, but frankly that doesn't answer my question. I know, that the unit is capable of "emulating" disc swapping. But since I don't have the switch soldered to the hardware, I am curious about the newly added button workaround.

On a sidenote: a changelog for the firmware updates would be really nice.

Xiden
Developer

Post#16 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:14 pm

streeker wrote:Okay, but frankly that doesn't answer my question. I know, that the unit is capable of "emulating" disc swapping. But since I don't have the switch soldered to the hardware, I am curious about the newly added button workaround.

On a sidenote: a changelog for the firmware updates would be really nice.

Then you might ask on assembler games then https://assemblergames.com/threads/usb- ... ead.56946/
Also MNEMO didn't include a changelog with his recent firmware.

FYI putting the lid switch on is super easy.

kagamutora
noob

Post#17 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:50 pm

Ok so i got the USB GDROM in the mail today but I realized that there was still some things I have yet to find answers to so I will ask here. Please forgive me if this is not the place I do not use forums often. First question I have is can two usb thumb drives be connected and work with the gd rom at the same time since there is two ports? I may consider getting a portable external hard drive to cut costs will the usb port supply enough power to run the hard drive with no issues while playing games? I also thought about using SSD as well for faster loading times but I do not know if that is even a option?

RXShorty
photon blast

Post#18 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:28 pm

kagamutora wrote:Ok so i got the USB GDROM in the mail today but I realized that there was still some things I have yet to find answers to so I will ask here. Please forgive me if this is not the place I do not use forums often. First question I have is can two usb thumb drives be connected and work with the gd rom at the same time since there is two ports? I may consider getting a portable external hard drive to cut costs will the usb port supply enough power to run the hard drive with no issues while playing games? I also thought about using SSD as well for faster loading times but I do not know if that is even a option?
Hello,

I only tried connecting 1 USB devices, but my guess is that 2 could work.
Things I used that worked:

1. USB 2.0 stick
2. USB 3.0 stick
3. USB 2.0 external harddrive self powered through the USB port.
4. USB 3.0 external harddrive self powered through the USB port.

So yes it is going to work.
An SSD isn't helping for the speed.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn BBB100-2 met Tapatalk
DreamOn!

Xiden
Developer

Post#19 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:26 pm

Only the top Usb port works on the usbgdrom. the bottom one doesnt work and you likely cant connect anything to it due to it being so low in the console

saka510
noob

Post#20 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:17 pm

I just got my USB GDROM today and have it installed to DC. But I'm not able to start my DC to boot menu. I have formatted my USB stick to FAT32, 64Kb Clustersize; and download the root_init2.rar from the homesite, then extract the files to root directory of USB stick. Everytime when i start my DC. It just load the Dreamcast icon then jump to CD player, not even shows the SEGA icon. Does anyone get any idea? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95vt9jut1BY

Thank you,