[USB GDROM] Troubleshooting & Firmware updates

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

trekts
dark night

Re: [USB GDROM] Troubleshooting & Firmware updates

Post by trekts »

OniKuno wrote:Hi,

Anyone have any problems with the red book audio games, Worms world party, MK gold, chuchu rocket, KOF dream match 99?

they work fine first boot but in about 10 - 20 minutes maybe I noticed the sound track gets all distorted or scratchy,

Maybe I'm the only person here gone mad or something, I've tested other forms of USB storage I get the same issue. (USB2.0 thumb drive or USB3.0 SD card reader)

thanks
I'm going through this issue with Sonic Adventure. After a certain amount of time, the music gets all warped and distorted; then it stops entirely. Sometimes this causes the game to lock up entirely and I have to power up the console again. This hasn't happened in my almost 4 years of owning this device. A temporary solution would be to convert the game's .bin files into .iso files. The game runs much better and longer, but the problem still persists.

I've sent an email to the creator of this board. His response was the standard: "did you try another usb thumbdrive? did you clean the contacts, a/c & a/v ports? did you reformat the thumbdrive? did you use a different thumbdrive etc., etc.," I've replied to him and said that I've tried everything I can think of, and the problem still persists. So I'm currently waiting on a response. If he sends me a replacement unit, cool; it's just annoying that after four years this thing is giving me issues like this. Downright bizarre. I may just cave and pick up a Terraonion MODE within the next month or two (assuming it doesn't go through the same issues I'm currently going through with the USB-GDROM).

I noticed a few folks in this thread who are going through the same thing and I was wondering if they had those issues taken care of or if they've given up entirely? I'm about to reformat my thumbdrive, but something tells me that too will be futile.

Xiden
Developer
Dreamcast Games you play Online: All the DC games!!

Post by Xiden »

trekts wrote:

Anyone have any problems with the red book audio games, Worms world party, MK gold, chuchu rocket, KOF dream match 99?

they work fine first boot but in about 10 - 20 minutes maybe I noticed the sound track gets all distorted or scratchy,

Maybe I'm the only person here gone mad or something, I've tested other forms of USB storage I get the same issue. (USB2.0 thumb drive or USB3.0 SD card reader)

thanks
I'm going through this issue with Sonic Adventure. After a certain amount of time, the music gets all warped and distorted; then it stops entirely. Sometimes this causes the game to lock up entirely and I have to power up the console again. This hasn't happened in my almost 4 years of owning this device. A temporary solution would be to convert the game's .bin files into .iso files. The game runs much better and longer, but the problem still persists.

I've sent an email to the creator of this board. His response was the standard: "did you try another usb thumbdrive? did you clean the contacts, a/c & a/v ports? did you reformat the thumbdrive? did you use a different thumbdrive etc., etc.," I've replied to him and said that I've tried everything I can think of, and the problem still persists. So I'm currently waiting on a response. If he sends me a replacement unit, cool; it's just annoying that after four years this thing is giving me issues like this. Downright bizarre. I may just cave and pick up a Terraonion MODE within the next month or two (assuming it doesn't go through the same issues I'm currently going through with the USB-GDROM).

I noticed a few folks in this thread who are going through the same thing and I was wondering if they had those issues taken care of or if they've given up entirely? I'm about to reformat my thumbdrive, but something tells me that too will be futile.
Are you using a . gdi version? If so is it a redump or tosec rip?

trekts
dark night

Post by trekts »

Xiden wrote:
trekts wrote:

thanks

I'm using TOSEC .gdi files.

Xiden
Developer
Dreamcast Games you play Online: All the DC games!!

Post by Xiden »

trekts wrote:
Xiden wrote:
trekts wrote:

If it's been working for years up til now it's a possibility your capacitors may need replacement. I had a lot of bizarre issues with my dreamcast and turned out my power supply caps were bad.

trekts
dark night

Post by trekts »

Xiden wrote:
trekts wrote:
Xiden wrote:
If it's been working for years up til now it's a possibility your capacitors may need replacement. I had a lot of bizarre issues with my dreamcast and turned out my power supply caps were bad.
That could be a factor. I'm not very savvy w/ a soldering iron, so I picked up a replacement PSU on eBay. Hope this is the crux of my issue. It just started cutting off audio/freezing on other games as well. Very frustrating.

OniKuno
shadow

Post by OniKuno »

trekts wrote:

thanks

it's ok now, I've given a replacement seems to be a newer revision than the one i had before, and the chip on the board doesn't overheat like the previous one with no redbook audio issues :)