[USB GDROM] Troubleshooting & Firmware updates

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Xiden
Developer

Re: [USB GDROM] Troubleshooting & Firmware updates

Post#31 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:53 pm

FlorreW wrote:
RetrogamerX wrote:
I'm on that firmware as well and it's been flawless. I have tested loads of GDI's and CDI's and everyone has worked perfect for me. No issues at all. Did you disable the 12v rail? I replaced my whole PSU to DreamPSU. My Dreamcast is cold even after running 3 hours straight.

How's is going now after resetting?

Hi there RetrogamerX ! With the new firmware it is working as intended , perfect so far. Have to try it out for a longer period of time to see if the "resetting" is still there but i havent got time to try it out yet.

Disable the 12v rail , i guess you mean on the Dreampsu (the original dont have 12v right =p) . No i havent , should i and if so , why ?

Best regards Florian :P

There's a cheap resistor you can add to the 12v rail which reduces heat since the USB-GDRom drive no longer pulls current from that rail.

Refer to the first page on this guide and you'll see a guide on how this is accomplished. Its easy to do. :)

RXShorty
photon blast

Post#32 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:20 pm

Yes the resistor trick does the job well.
I also applied the resistor.

:)

Verstuurd vanaf mijn BBB100-2 met Tapatalk
DreamOn!

Robbie
rebel

Post#33 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:00 pm

Hello,
I'm new to this site. :D

I have only just received my USB GDROM for my Pal UK Dreamcast from 3do-renovation.ru
The problem I am having is every time I boot up my Dreamcast it will load to the blue menu screen. But when I try playing a GDI or CDI file from the Menu the system will hang. Like it as crashed. The controller will not do anything. I have tried using different pen drives and a SD card, USB hard drive. Doing the same thing all the time. I have tried formatting with Windows 10 Formatter, FAT32 Format, MiniAide Fat32 Formatter with 64k clusters. No matter what it will just hang at the blue screen. First thing I did when I got my USB GDROM is updating the OS to the latest one 'firmware update v 2017/09/05'. it updated fine with no problems and rebooted with out any problems.

I'm just wondering what may be my problem as right now I'm giving up getting. I'm using a Sandisk 16 Micro card right now and have tried a SanDisk 64GB pen drive that did not work. And a Western digital USB 1 TB Hard drive. That did work on booting to the blue screen. But crashed when clicking on any GDI or CDI file. Very much on the Micro 16GB Sandisk it will crash like the hard drive.

I have done the PSU Mod to disable the 12V line.. I have got a GDEMU and did it to that dreamcast too. That works fine with out any problems.

But this one I'm having problems with and as got me foxed.

Any help on this I will be grateful.

I have done the two bios mod on both of me Dreamcast's with a switch.
I'm just hoping I don't need to use a different system to get this to work. LOL

Thank you
Last edited by Robbie on Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Robbie
rebel

Post#34 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:40 am

Hello,
Just a little update on my problem I am having with my New USB GDROM.

Last night I have been none stop trying to get the problem fixed. I have tried using different formatting tools and tried different pen drive's. Still doing the same thing on crashing the system. I Also tried a different Dreamcast from one that I fixed. I know both Dreamcast's work as they both have good working GD ROM drive's. But after testing with the other Dreamcast it's still doing the same thing. Both Dreamcast Model's are a [1] Pal. I'm totally confused on what to do. I'm wondering if it's down to the OS update or the board being faulty. If I can't get this thing working I may have to sell it on eBay as faulty and try and get hold off a second GDEMU. As I know the one I have got is working great and I'm very happy with it. I was thinking about contacting the person that makes USB GDROM from 3do-renovation.ru

But I really don't like waiting for it to come back to me.
I ordered it like 7 months ago or longer. I really can't remember how long but it was sometime until I got the thing.
It was ages! :(

This thing is giving me a headache on trying to get working. I have notice even that I have disabled the 12v line.
My Dreamcast is getting little hot. I Did the guide from reddit.com. My other Dreamcast I did it too with the GDEMU is not getting hot at all. So I'm a little bit nervous about it.

Anyway thank you

RXShorty
photon blast

Post#35 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:33 pm

Hey Robbie,

Ah that doesn't sound that good.
So you have a VA01 Dreamcast?

Did you put the root_init.rar extract in the root of your USB pendrive?
And tried the root_init2.rar?

And what do you mean with crash? The dreamcast hangs?
Try to format your pendrive with fat32format in the start post but with a Windows 7 machine if possible.
DreamOn!

Robbie
rebel

Post#36 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:18 am

Hello RXShorty

Yes when I come to click on a GDI or a CDI file.
The system will just hang. Very much crash and won't do anything. The Controller will not do anything when I press on any button. So I have to turn it off and back on again to get the menu working. I have also notice when I put a game folder with a GDI or CDI file on the SD card and coming to click on that folder on the menu. It will not show up anything in that folder and just hang.

My Dreamcast is a [1] Pal E.. So VA1 Dreamcast I say.
It doesn't have a heat sink like the VA0 as.

I have tried both root_init and root_init2 into the root of the SD card.
So when I open my SD card it will show a-b, c-d blah blah folders you know layout.
With the dash ISO.

The weird thing the dash iso works and takes me to the music player.

I'm using the same GDI and CDI files that I am using with my GDEMU that works great.
So I don't know if that as something to do with it. The file formats.
I'm not to sure if that is the problem.

I have tried the special update file.
When I turn the Dreamcast on with the file on the SD card and then put the card back into the PC.
The special update file disappears from the SD card. And the menu will still hang and won't do anything after clicking a game.
I can't move up or down on the Menu. Like it as totally crashed.

Like I have mentioned in my last post.
I have tried the USB GDRom on a different Dreamcast model [1} Pal E. The same model and it will do the exactly the same thing. Hang!

Anyway I will try again using a Windows 7 PC.
And get back to you.

Right now I'm emailing dr.mnemo about my problem with a video.

Thank you

Robbie
rebel

Post#37 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:19 am

Just tried fat32formater with Windows 7 and it's still hanging and not showing game files in folders.

I will see what mnemo as got to say about it.
If I can't get it fixed I will buy a second GDEMU.
I'm very happy with my one I have got.

The reason I have got GDEMU and USB GDRom.
lounge and bed room. Two different systems.
And what I can get hold off. LOL

Anyway thank you

Xiden
Developer

Post#38 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:20 am

Robbie wrote:Just tried fat32formater with Windows 7 and it's still hanging and not showing game files in folders.

I will see what mnemo as got to say about it.
If I can't get it fixed I will buy a second GDEMU.
I'm very happy with my one I have got.

The reason I have got GDEMU and USB GDRom.
lounge and bed room. Two different systems.
And what I can get hold off. LOL

Anyway thank you

Did you set the cluster size to 64k on your Hard Drive that you are using?
Have you tried downloading a fresh .GDI file from the Internet to see if its just your files?

Robbie
rebel

Post#39 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:01 pm

Xiden

Yes I did use 64k when formatting the SD card.

I did try some different formats from different sites.
I will keep on trying them.

Thank you
Last edited by Robbie on Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Xiden
Developer

Post#40 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:11 pm

Robbie wrote:Xiden

Yes I did use 64k when formatting the SD card.
And I'm not to sure on what format to use on the games. I mean GDI or CDI file is only two formats for Dreamcast. How many formats are they?

I know ISO or Bin maybe is one.
But CDI and GDI is the most common format.

I'm I missing out more then 2 formats that I didn't know about?

I tried Dreamshell CDI and that did't work.

What game formats are you using may I ask? As I'm sure a GDI or a CDI is only the two formats that's most needed.
But GDI needs the added bin data files from the disk.

I will try different downloads. But I be pretty sure I be wasting my own time.
The GDI and CDI files I'm using are working ones. That I use on my GDEMU with out any problems.

I will try and dump a disk using Dreamshell on a different Dreamcast with a disk drive.
I have got a Network Adapter and use to use a tool to dump games across network on to me PC.
But that was ages ago and I can't remember how I did it.

I will look into it. Thank you

I'm using all GDI's unless there only exist a CDI (Homebrew or unreleased games for example). GDI is a 1:1 rip of the dreamcast game so thats what you should be using. Did you try a thumbdrive? Thats what I use.

I have the entire DC catalog in GDI format here : https://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10412