Replacing The Dreamcast Laser Lens

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

itsthinkingstill
Vagabond

Replacing The Dreamcast Laser Lens

Post#1 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:40 pm

Have always been wondering about this but has anyone had any luck replacing them like the the one in the link below? Since Dc lasers are basically the only thing known to go on them im wondering is this practical or need to be amazing at soldering ect

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/17P-SPU-3200-SP ... SwygJXhipJ

The-Amazing-Mr_V
Metallic

Re: Replacing The Dreamcast Laser Lens

Post#2 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:50 pm

I've wondered the same thing.

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#3 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:39 pm

I have. Didn't work. It didn't even attempt to read the disc upon installation and adjusting the potentiometer made no difference.
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

itsthinkingstill
Vagabond

Post#4 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:36 am

pcwzrd13 wrote:I have. Didn't work. It didn't even attempt to read the disc upon installation and adjusting the potentiometer made no difference.

Well that sucks, maybe one day someone can make a replacement part

mstar
Doom

Post#5 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:50 am

A guy from german site segacity.de has successfully modded old CD-ROM lasers to work inside the Dreamcast.

He said that the "new" lasers you can buy from Alibaba etc. are more or less junk and have a DOA-rate of over 90%...

http://segacity.de/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6178

Guess you want to use Google Translate or similar to make some sense of that thread :)

TacT
Uber

Post#6 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:47 pm

I bought one of those on ebay a while back it did Not work but I'm sure they're just shoveling old used parts, it was not new when I got one just in a new box lol They did give me a refund tho =)

However I did have success with a couple lasers I pulled myself from old pc cd drives that were compatible. One was that same one They do work! but was already worn out and didn't last long anyway.
You just have to get lucky I guess, maybe I'll try again someday.

Tip: Remember there is a solder blob on lasers for shipping that protects against static , you must desolder it disconnecting that spot before installing it. Wear a static bracelet they are sensitive parts. Also it was recommended to Unplug the solder iron from the wall socket before contact with the laser part for extra protection against damage.

Who knows I might have damaged it when I got it. But they did refund.

I have done these repairs before on other devices. recently on my father's Denon dvd player stopped reading some cds after a while and I got an actual New part to replace and it works better than new! sounds amazing.

Just save up for a GD USB Or GDEMU They're Great!

it's still thinking.