Date and Time Issue

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

namesbond
noob

Date and Time Issue

Post#1 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:47 pm

Hello everyone, I am new to this forum. I wanted to ask a questions since I can't seem to find the answer online.

Here is my Dreamcast:
It is a Sega Sports Edition with the 1 on the bottom
I have a Pico PSU, USB-GDROM, and replacement 40mm fan on the 12 volt rail.

1. If my Dreamcast sits and I power it on it will usually boot into the USB-GDROM and work correctly when launching games. If I play for awhile and turn it off then back on again to play a different game it will do this strange thing where it asks for the date, then immediately asks for the date again, then I will select to boot the disc from the system menu and it will show the Dreamcast loading screen like it is loading a game, then it will ask for the date and time twice again, it will loop through this and never actually launch a game. The only way to get around it is to leave the system turned off for awhile. Then it will work again.

Is this just a bad system battery or a larger issue? Do I need to replace the controller port circuit board or could it be the main board? "I have one on order" It is my understanding that playing it should charge the battery and that not having a good battery just brings up the date and time screen one not endlessly looping to it.

namesbond
noob

Re: Date and Time Issue

Post#2 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:42 pm

I think I solved my issue. I had the Noctua fan wired incorrectly. I had the pullup resistor between 12v and clock instead of 5v and clock. That may have messed up my Dreamcast. I took my PICO PSU, stock fan, USBGDROM, different controller port board with a new battery, with a different motherboard and it is working perfectly now!