Dreamcast Date and Time Loop

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

namesbond
noob

Dreamcast Date and Time Loop

Post#1 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:32 pm

Hello,

My setup is a Dreamcast with a 1 on the bottom, USB-GDROM, Pico PSU, and 40mm fan connected to the 12 volt rail with pull up resistor. I have not yet replaced my system battery but have new batteries in my VMU.

When I turn on my Dreamcast after it being off for a prolonged period it usually starts up fine but sometimes prompts for time and date. This is normal behavior for an old system battery. The weird part is if I play for a period of 15 plus minutes then turn the console off then back on to play a different game it does the following sequence. Enter Date and Time -> Enter Date and Time again -> launch disk from system menu -> Disc appears to load but instead of the game I'm sent to enter date and time -> Enter Date and Time -> Enter Date and Time -> over and over again until I power off the system for a period of about a half hour. I can't find anything online. Does this sound like it would be a battery issue or something more? I've ordered a new battery and controller board to swap. I thought maybe the date and time needed to match my VMU but that doesn't seem to matter.

krssn
Metallic

Re: Dreamcast Date and Time Loop

Post#2 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:03 pm

Sounds a bit like what happens to first model Saturns.

Saturn plays for hours, no problem. Power it down and power it up again straight after and it won't load your game. Wait half an hour and everything works great again.

With the Saturn the culprit is a cheap mosfet on the power board. Replacing it with a better more modern one solves the problem.

Maybe your DC has a similar problem?...

namesbond
noob

Post#3 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:41 pm

Thanks for the reply! I think I solved my issue. I had the Noctua fan wired incorrectly. I had the pullup resistor between 12v and clock instead of 5v and clock. That may have messed up my Dreamcast. I took my PICO PSU, stock fan, USBGDROM, different controller port board with a new battery, with a different motherboard and it is working perfectly now!

mistamontiel
Shark Patrol

Post#4 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:09 pm

Hate to be that guy but please don't spawn numerous threads with the same question !

Glad to read it