Wiring diagram for MadCatz Panther DC stick?

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

3DBB
shadow

Wiring diagram for MadCatz Panther DC stick?

Post#1 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:27 pm

I had one wire (green) in the group up at the top of the stick break free, and I can't tell which contact it's supposed to be soldered to. Any hints? If it's any help, the stick behaves as though the D-Pad "Down" is being pressed continuously.

krssn
Metallic

Re: Wiring diagram for MadCatz Panther DC stick?

Post#2 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:40 pm

Just opened mine up.

It's near the edge where all the friggin' hotglue is.

Brown, purple, green, red, orange, in that order.

No idea if your board has 6 little teeth in the rim near the hotglue, but it's just right of the last tooth.

Very hard to see, and I don't want to touch too much because the soldering on this thing is horrible, but I'm pretty sure the green wire corresponds with the '3' on the other side of the board, or at least the hole below that number.

3DBB
shadow

Post#3 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:47 pm

Cool, thanks! Will try to fix it this weekend.

krssn
Metallic

Post#4 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:47 pm

YW. Let us know how it went if you please... ^^

3DBB
shadow

Post#5 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:24 pm

Argh! It's a *different* green wire. The one you mentioned is there.

I have three brown wires, two red wires, and two green. The additional red wire goes to the D-Pad hat switch.

krssn
Metallic

Post#6 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:07 pm

#$@&%*!

Promise, I will check again within the next few days.

Just not right now... lol

krssn
Metallic

Post#7 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:40 pm

Looks like not all wires in mine have the same color as yours.

But I think I figured it out.

The two thick red wires in yours are black in mine. They go to the trigger board. There is also a third cable connected to the same point on the trigger board. The wire is black near the trigger board, but changes to green about two centimeters down. Now seeing as it's a green wire you need to connect, and from what I can tell from your pic your trigger only has two wires connected, I suspect this is the third wire on the trigger board. Trigger board only uses one soldering point, so all three wires are connected to the same point...

Ok, time to close it up and put it back in storage, again. Let's hope this is it... lol

3DBB
shadow

Post#8 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:32 pm

Yep, your impression is correct--only two wires soldered to my trigger board. This actually makes more sense, since this wire definitely seemed to be separated from the bundle going to the thumb control board. Will haul out the soldering iron and give it a shot.

Thanks again.

3DBB
shadow

Post#9 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:08 pm

Well, I got the wire soldered on, but it didn't fix my problem. I still have a problem with the hat switch. More disassembly ahead. I sure hope I don't need to pull off that glob.

krssn
Metallic

Post#10 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:59 pm

Well that sucks... :/

Taking the glob off is not the problem. It's how many wires you pull off with it, in combination with not having any schematics. Good luck if you do, and be careful. Try to make your own schematics and try to have them as complete as possible before even trying to get the glue off. Multimeter with continuity test would be a plus for this job...

Take your time. And if all else fails, lemme know. We'll fix it eventually, even if I have to take mine apart and make those schematics myself... lol

Also, make sure all the contacts and switches are clean. I think that's your best bet. Use a Datavac and contact cleaner if you have them, and test all the switches with the continuity test on your multimeter. Especially the 'down' one...

Does anything stop the scrolling down, if even momentarily? Like pushing down on the little direction pads in the stick? Does moving the stick itself up or down stop the scrolling? The latter could be a maladjusted potentiometer in the stick mechanism...

Did anything change at all after soldering on this wire?...