USB GDROM boot menu issue

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

saka510
noob

USB GDROM boot menu issue

Post#1 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:57 pm

Hi,

I just got my USB GDROM today and have it installed to DC. But I'm not able to start my DC to boot menu. I have formatted my USB stick to FAT32, 64Kb Clustersize; and download the root_init2.rar from the homesite, then extract the files to root directory of USB stick. Everytime when i start my DC. It just load the Dreamcast icon then jump to CD player, not even shows the SEGA icon. Does anyone get any idea?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95vt9jut1BY

Thank you,

Xiden
Developer

Re: USB GDROM boot menu issue

Post#2 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:00 pm

saka510 wrote:Hi,

I just got my USB GDROM today and have it installed to DC. But I'm not able to start my DC to boot menu. I have formatted my USB stick to FAT32, 64Kb Clustersize; and download the root_init2.rar from the homesite, then extract the files to root directory of USB stick. Everytime when i start my DC. It just load the Dreamcast icon then jump to CD player, not even shows the SEGA icon. Does anyone get any idea?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95vt9jut1BY

Thank you,

Hmm sounds like you did everything right. Other than trying a different usb stick you will likely need to email dr.mnemo@gmail.com. You are using the top usb port right?

saka510
noob

Post#3 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:52 am

yes, I use the top usb port. I also tried different usb sticks(partition MBR), put the firmware update file USB-GDROM_fw_17-09-05.bin in to root directory location. No idea which part i did wrong....; would it be the issue of USB GDrom itself?

Xiden
Developer

Post#4 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:57 am

saka510 wrote:yes, I use the top usb port. I also tried different usb sticks(partition MBR), put the firmware update file USB-GDROM_fw_17-09-05.bin in to root directory location. No idea which part i did wrong....; would it be the issue of USB GDrom itself?

Its possible. Uninstall and reinstall the usb-gdrom, Make sure you pushed it down securely on the pins. Make sure nothing is crooked. If that still doesnt work you should email mnemo to get a replacement shipped.

DC9_9_99
noob

Post#5 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:41 pm

Anything happen with this?

For any future visitors I'd try more than two thumb drives, I'd try a whole bunch I have had multiple thumb-drives not work with my USB-GDROM and read stories about people using USB 3 drives and not knowing they were USB3 because the plug is not blue. Try ALL the thumb drives you own and borrow some from a friend. I had to try a bunch before I realized my USB-GDROM was not broken I was just unlucky with my thumb drives.

Xiden
Developer

Post#6 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:55 pm

DC9_9_99 wrote:Anything happen with this?

For any future visitors I'd try more than two thumb drives, I'd try a whole bunch I have had multiple thumb-drives not work with my USB-GDROM and read stories about people using USB 3 drives and not knowing they were USB3 because the plug is not blue. Try ALL the thumb drives you own and borrow some from a friend. I had to try a bunch before I realized my USB-GDROM was not broken I was just unlucky with my thumb drives.

I may need to start a list of recommend thumb drives.
I always use Sandisk Cruzer USB 2.0 with Mnemos products and never have problems :)