Dreamcast to HDTV

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

alexh86
lithium

Re: Dreamcast to HDTV

Post#11 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:06 pm

mrneo240 wrote:HDE VGA2HDMI converter: $11 (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009L4X3ZA/)

I've always had HDTVs with VGA ports but I was very generously given a nice 4K TV for Christmas that lacks VGA. I assumed these cheap Amazon VGA to HDI boxes would introduce a lot of lag but is that true in your experience? It would be great if the answer to my problem was so inexpensive.

mrneo240
Rank 9

Post#12 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:48 pm

I do not notice any lag, but i play for fun and 2d fighters arent my thing.

Seriously though, even when going dc -> vga -> hdmi converter -> capture card+tv. I dont see any lag

i also have a samsung 4k qled tv. love it!

RetrogamerX
rebel

Post#13 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:51 pm

alexh86 wrote:
mrneo240 wrote:HDE VGA2HDMI converter: $11 (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009L4X3ZA/)

I've always had HDTVs with VGA ports but I was very generously given a nice 4K TV for Christmas that lacks VGA. I assumed these cheap Amazon VGA to HDI boxes would introduce a lot of lag but is that true in your experience? It would be great if the answer to my problem was so inexpensive.

https://www.beharbros.com/akura

Problem solved :D

mrneo240
Rank 9

Post#14 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:56 pm

RetrogamerX wrote:
alexh86 wrote:

https://www.beharbros.com/akura

Problem solved :D

get back to me when it plays Yuukyuu Gensoukyoku 3: Perpetual Blue over vga.

OldskoolRules
shadow

Post#15 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:20 pm

Oh look at that it doesn't work. I just get a black screen. I have an HD converter similar to neos, with the red\white inputs next to VGA input. Then an HD cord runs from that box to my Tv, into the HDMI 2 slot. Yes I'm on the hd!mi 2 channel. I also have a standard set of cords with the r,y,w and s video but this doesn't seem to work either....on any channel I try. I knew I shouldn't have started this. What a nightmare.

mrneo240
Rank 9

Post#16 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:16 pm

Next up is: what kind of tv do you have? Have you tried unplugging everything from the HDMI VGA converter and then plugging everything in and then giving it power.

Mine is finicky, I have to do everything in that order and it's fine forever. If I unplug any part of it then I get no signal until I do it over again

The-Amazing-Mr_V
Metallic

Post#17 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:24 pm

OldskoolRules wrote:Oh look at that it doesn't work. I just get a black screen. I have an HD converter similar to neos, with the red\white inputs next to VGA input. Then an HD cord runs from that box to my Tv, into the HDMI 2 slot. Yes I'm on the hd!mi 2 channel. I also have a standard set of cords with the r,y,w and s video but this doesn't seem to work either....on any channel I try. I knew I shouldn't have started this. What a nightmare.

My guess is your tv doesn't display the dreamcast 480i/p resolution through hdmi. Not all tv's do and these cheap vga to hdmi converter don't actually scale the image all though they say they do. I have a cheap converter and my tv indicates a 480 resolution.

A lot of these converters list themselves as scalers. Not upscalers. Tricky tricky.

WingMantis
dark night

Post#18 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:40 pm

mrneo240 wrote:
Anonymouse wrote:You should try MrNeo240 option and spend the rest of you budget on a DreamPi setup to play the Dreamcast online.

@OldskoolRules I agree with Anonymouse on not spending a lot on a converter, but it sounds like you are having trouble with the cheap setup?

Like mrneo said, HDMI can be finicky. There is a 2 way handshake going on that is for copy protection that leads to problems sometimes. It's so you can't record the digital stream, which is harder and way more niche and expensive than just ripping whatever video feed straight from the disc LOL.

I have mentioned this elsewhere before, but are you all using widescreen codes (or widescreen patched cdis)? It makes a huge difference (Zombie Revenge is unplayable at 4:3 IMO), really modernizes the DC games.

EDITAlso, part of the problem may be DC's unorthodox VGA signal. Cheaper converters may not be handling that properly so timing is off. There is a group working on an internal HDMI mod that taps directly to the digital audio and video lines before the DAC. The feed will be corrected to standard timing.

OfManNotMachine
letterbomb

Post#19 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:13 pm

At some point this year, HD Retrovision will be releasing componet cables for Dreamcast. Their cables for Genesis/Saturn/PSX have been incredible. I'm excited to see how their DC cable pans out

dan_saturn
noob

Post#20 » Thu May 24, 2018 8:21 am

I'm having a similar issue. I have a Sharp Aquos LED TV.

So far I've tried;
Connecting to PC in on TV via a VGA cable from a DC VGA box - nothing
Connecting VGA cable to a cheap Amazon VGA to HDMI converter box - nothing

Last resort is I've bought a Scart cable and going to try connecting via the Scart to HDMI box that I use for my Saturn. Hopeful that this will work so I can at least use it.

Wondering if upscaler such as the Behar Akura work? I'm assuming the reason the cheap Amazon VGA to HDMI didn't work as because it is only a converter not an upscaler and my TV can't display the lower outputs?