Dial up for Dummies?

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

HalfwitZero
rebel

Dial up for Dummies?

Post#1 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:24 pm

I'm almost literally a caveman when it comes to technology outside of music gear... I game online with PS4 and whatnot but I'm trying to get a good "Dreamcast for Dummies" walkthrough of how to get mine online using a dial up service. I still have a landline in a Time Warner (Spectrum) package for WiFi, Free Long Distance Telephone and Cable. What I'm trying to figure out is what I have to do to get going the old fashioned way since I have said phone line. I have come to understand that NetZero won't work because you need a browser they provide to run the service so I'm actually willing to pay for dial up since its only going to run me 5-10 a month... but which service is best? How easy is it? How do you use it? Will my Time Warner service make me unable to use the line for dial up? Would I just dial my member screen name with my chosen dial up service and password and then use the closest isp number for my area? I'm really clueless and have been looking all over the internet.. If anyone can explain this to me, make sure you explain it like you would a child using technology for the first time lol. I'm 31 and once thought I was SOMEWHAT decent at figuring this kind of stuff out. I've also acquired Phantasy Star ver2, Quake 3, 4x4, Alien Front and Unreal (although I don't know if Unreal is still online?). If there's different methods for different games, let me know. I want to join the community of (almost) 300 people playing online in 2018! I would even be tempted to make youtube streams.. especially if I can bring my Phantasy Star game online (heard you need to burn a patch even WITH a connection?? Do I just burn the patcher on the download page and insert the disk before inserting PSO? ...This is why I need help haha) I really don't know how to pull all this off.. Thanks to anyone willing to assist me. Once I get this online, I'll be on ALL the time.... seriously
*Note* I am so out of touch that I originally posted this in "Lounge" instead of here in Support. Sorry about that

Anonymouse
Outtrigger

Re: Dial up for Dummies?

Post#2 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:30 am

Hi there,
Welcome to the community. We seem to be getting quite a few new DC online members at the moment. We are always willing to help new players get back online.

My advice would be to get a DreamPi to get back online. It basically converts your dreamcast modem to work over broadband/wifi. Once its set up its pretty much hassle free. No need to modify game discs. Your original games with connect without issue. Only PSO requires a patch disc. Its very easy to get hold of though.

Check out the Dreamcast Live website for the list of online DC games.

I hope to see you online soon.
Dreamcast: Blue Swirl, 60hz, White LED, Removable battery holder, Internal SD card reader, BBA, DreamPi, RGB Scart

alexh86
lithium

Post#3 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:55 am

I highly recommend looking into buying or building a DreamPi rather than messing with real dial-up. Real service can work but it requires more configuration to run some of the games and it is also slower. You'll also tie up your home phone line while you play. Unless you have a deal with Spectrum, it will also cost you something to add dial-up service which means over the course of a few months, the DreamPi will pay for itself.

mistamontiel
Shark Patrol

Post#4 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:01 pm

Raspberry Pi 3

Any microSD card , uh an 8 gig for good measure ?

And the USB modem with line voltage inducer integrated . I can't cook up nothing so can buy it

Burn the XDP browser , fake an ISP (used UGB's youtube tut except don't even need to put the DNS addy in) , done , plug and play

For playing PSOv2 I think I'd read you need the boot disc use the real GD to take new char live for first time once , then go get IVES PSOv2 CDI to burn , coupled with JVC Taiyo Yuden CD-R , your Dreamcast drive will love you for it

EDIT: Ya , authentic dial-up is inferior , the ISP may ignore the new DNS

Mongonk
shadow

Post#5 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:20 pm

Welcome! I'm new as well. Go with the Dreampi kit! PC sends these all ready to go! I HIGHLY recommend this! It's Awesome!

http://www.dreamcastlive.net/mobile/shop.html

Bob Dobbs
Sub Genius

Post#6 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:26 pm

but if you have a Raspberry Pi already, then all you will need is to go to Dreamcast-Live, download the software needed. Hardware needed besides the Pi is the SD card that matches your Pi and a modem with a LVI. I recommend purchasing a DreamPi modem with built-in LVI from TacT (which has been 100% online for me) or PCwzrd13's options. You may have a USB modem and only want the LVI, which PCwzrd13 has as well but remember, not all USB modems are Linux friendly.
Regards,
Bob Dobbs

HalfwitZero
rebel

Post#7 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:11 pm

I'm getting the Pi with built in wifi. I just hope he sends an instructional guide for a dope to figure out setup :p

The-Amazing-Mr_V
Metallic

Post#8 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:21 pm

If I can figure it out then you can too!

Bob Dobbs
Sub Genius

Post#9 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:25 pm

Any issues, please let us know.
Regards,
Bob Dobbs

HalfwitZero
rebel

Post#10 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:28 pm

Thanks all. Few weeks from now I should be on