Dreamcast Modem Testing with World Series Baseball 2K2

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

thecodygriffin
undertow

Re: Dreamcast Modem Testing with World Series Baseball 2K2

Post#11 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:47 pm

Thus far, I haven't had an opportunity to play a WSB2K2 game. I've been playing around with getting the email relay setup and basic web browsing from the 2.0 disc. With that said, the web browsing has been been noticeably faster.

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#12 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:02 am

I figured it out! Well, I figured out how to account for the Dreamcast modems that aren't performing optimally anyway. It seems the voltage output from the LVI just needed to be increased slightly and now all modems connect at full speed! It seems being right at the normal required voltage wasn't enough for some DC modems. I'm just going to do a little more extensive testing but I think I have it. If everything checks out, I'll make the adjustment for free for anyone that has one of my USB modems.
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

thecodygriffin
undertow

Post#13 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:36 am

Wow! I did not expect that this would be an outcome of the testing. I’d be more than happy to retest all of my modems after adjustments are made.

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#14 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:57 pm

thecodygriffin wrote:Wow! I did not expect that this would be an outcome of the testing.

It's not entirely surprising TBH. Even when using a 9v battery-powered LVI, it would stop working around 8.6v (If I remember correctly from when I tested it). It would cause slow speeds even before that. That's only about a 3% drop.
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live